What are your favorite poems?

• Daniel J
    19 years ago

I think the only poem I've ever been in awe of was "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe. His poetry should be easy to get hold of on the internet, just try a google search for "Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven."

There's one other poem which made me think "whoa!" and that's another of Poe's - try http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/eapoe/bl-eapoe-val.htm for that.

It speaks of a hidden message within the actual poem, and how, though the reader may try, they mose likely will not be able to decypher it.

SPOILER:
    I did manage to decypher the code: take the first letter of the first line, then the second letter of the second line, then the third of the third line, etc. - it should spell a name whom the poem is addressed to. It took a while to count all those letters...and I felt like it wasn't worth the trouble after that :p
    But I thought it was a great idea.

As to any others....
    "it is such a little thing to weep, so short a thing to sigh, and yet by trades the size of these we men and women die." (Emily Dickinson)

That's a firm favourite of mine.
    Also, Mrs. Browning made a distinct impression on me with:

Learn to win a lady's faith,
    Nobly, as the thing is high;
    Bravely, as for life and death; --
    with loyal gravity.

Lead her from the festive boards,
    Point her to the starry skies,
    Guard her, by your truthful words,
    Pure from courtship's flatteries.

I wrote my own poem based on that, here: http://www.best-love-poems.com/poems.php?id=262918

• Jacklyn
    19 years ago

favorite poem is the graduation spech (can't spell) the bully and making shara cry all by Cheryl Costello- Forshey and also the final act by lisa Teller.

~lil slam~

• Shelby G.
    19 years ago

Forgive me Father (im sorry if this affends you)
    Jimmy's Almost Birthday
    Mommy This Is What Happened

Best 3 poems ever posted on this site that i've read. I truely enjoyed every last word in each one of them

• SmileeItsBritt
    19 years ago

my favorite poems are anything by leah20 she really is an amazing writer..I think the best is dear lord take my angel...check it out sometime!!