Would you rather

• Kuro
    14 years ago

Would you rather give someone false hope or the blunt truth?

you need to ask this to somebody else, and then to yourself.

i am not interested in what is the RIGHT thing to do, but rather what you would do.

if it were me, asking someone else, i would rather give them the harsh blunt truth, while i would rather hear false hope to keep spirits up. that may seems backwards to most.

• Baby Rainbow
    14 years ago

Truth always comes out anyway, so it would hurt more giving false hope and letting it be strung along just to be shattered. x

• Ixora
    14 years ago

I think it depends on the person, situation and yourself. The relationship between you and the person may affect which you choose.

Personally I would analyze the person first. Some people can take the blatant word-for-word truth and some would kill themselves after you told them. Ofcourse there are inbetweens as well. My point is that there are ways to tell the truth that are not harsh, disrespectful, or necessairly all degrading. Hope, likewise, is not always false and from giving it you can give the person enough strength to see through whatever it is they're struggling. Again, it should be more inspirational then fairytale based (i.e. You are smart you will do this as opposed to He'll come back Im sure of it!). Ultimatley, the question I think you should ask yourself before choosing either is do you have the right. There's a difference between helping someone and being disrespectful and just trying to seem like a smart-ass. Sometimes all people need is for you to listen.

This is just my opinion.

• Kuro
    14 years ago

Class lies has a point. it does depend on the situation and the person. i guess what im trying to get at is

is false hope better or worse than NO HOPE? but sometimes people need to crash back to reality, and nothing does the trick like harsh blunt truth. but then you risk looking like a huge dick

• Ixora
    14 years ago

I understand all of your points and in most cases I do agree but people arent honest by nature anymore theres always a reason behind their honesty which is what the other person feels.

For example people may read a message like this and know what a person they hold in high respect would say that they would rather tell the truth, in fact that same person may say that but they may not actually want that. Its not about being sensitive to other people, although I think its important, its about respect.

You can argue that there is no such thing as false hope. The definition of it, although again can be argued and said in different ways, is that hope is generally feeling that some desire will be fulfilled or a sense of optimism. People can be realisitic and still hopeful and you can take the advice of hope from someone and choose not to believe it or take it to heart. If someone said something hopeful to you in a hospital and you didnt believe them you're entitled to it.

Not everyone listens to everyone.

• Jamie Lorraine
    14 years ago

I am a very honest person. I believe in telling someone the blunt truth then to lead them on. People do not deserve to be dragged along or leaded on. I was lead to believe someone and it turned out to be a lie so I much rather hurt someone's feelings telling them the brutly honest truth than to lead them believing something that is not there. yes they will be hurt by the truth but to lead them on is plain out wrong.

Plus I am the kind of person who tells the truth wheather it hurts or not. At the time i say it I really can care less if it hurts your feelings because you need to hear the truth so why sugarcoat it? I am not a person who sugarcoats anything at all.

• Hopeless Romantic
    14 years ago

Blunt truth even though it's hard for me to actually be rude at times. Sometimes it's needed.

• Tsukuyomi
    14 years ago

Blunt truth because lying to them will hurt worse than the truth farther down the road.

• Elizabeth
    14 years ago

...The truth is not always "negative" nor does always effect others in such a "negative" way.

• Tori Hicks
    14 years ago

I'd rather hear the blunt truth.

I'd rather say the blunt truth, but I'm not good at it, because I"m so scared of hurting people's feelings.

• Captivat3d
    14 years ago

The blunt truth, I wouldn't be able to keep a lie from someone especially if it's someone I care for.