I need some peoples opinions,(2 questions)

• Michael W Gutierrez
    19 years ago

There was someone, who said that the way I write is very mature for how old I am. Can someone read like one or 2 of my poems and tell me if you agree with that person? And the second thing is, do you beleive that poetry, or writing in general reflects on your personality, e.g. if somone writes alot of depressing poetry is that person depressed?

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

I believe that how you write is generally a good indicator of what your personality is, however I dont think that depressed people write depressive poetry and that happy people dont. I think you can more tell people's personalities by how they put across their message and what is written "between the lines" than the actual topic. For instance, I'm not a cutter, but I write poems about it. I am not depressed per say, lonely, yes, but not remotely the same as the states that I describe in my poetry. I write about drugs and drinking, but I dont do them, I write TONS of explicits, but im a virgin, etc.

A good example of what your poetry can say about you is one that Bob Shank gave me. He told me what his impression was of WHO I was, what type of personality I have and what my background was KNOWING NOTHING ABOUT ME and was pretty much correct. That is because he has read enough poetry to know that topic has little to do with the personality, and how to interpret the style of how you write to your life experiances and intellectual process'.

• Jacklyn
    19 years ago

this is an answer to your second ? no personality isn't reflected in poetry, i write almost all depressing poems and i am not depressed, i write suicide poems and i am not suicidal, i write poems about abuse but i am not abused, i write poems about drunk driving but i have never been in a car acident or been drinking i just get my ideas from music, movies, conversations things like that but some people show thier personality in thiers.

also i will read some of your other poems after this but people say i am mature for my age too because of my poems having deep meaning and deep subjects and understandment of situations so it is possible.

~lil slam~

• Michael W Gutierrez
    19 years ago

Yes see, but you get your ideas from other places, every single poem i've writtin is has happened in real-life, so basically what my question is, is if poetry is a good indicator of personality if you write it from personal experiance...I don't know if that makes sense or not....

• Broken Hearted Immortal
    19 years ago

well if someone writes depressing poems it doesnt always mean that they are depressed but for the most part yes and i would love to read some of your poems and tell you if they are really good if thats what you were asking.

• Tomesheia
    19 years ago

I think poetry does reflect on the way a person lives/or their lifestlye. And if all of their poems are depressing it means they are in some what that way.

• Jacklyn
    19 years ago

i don't agree at all, i write suicide poems, death poems but i am a very happy person, i joke aroung, laugh until i cry, i'm not depressed at all, yes i have a couple of hard times but nothing compared to makeing me depressed, everyone has to cry and have a broken heart once in life. my poems reflect nothing of my life. PLP besides the ones that are like jokes between me and my friends like "Big little box" but thats really about it.

~lil slam~