Apologize

• Aveena
    14 years ago

Should you apologize for something you did that you know was wrong but that person should have known you were mad, and was vulnurable to say anything, when they also did something wrong as well.. and just completly blaming it on you ?

• Aveena
    14 years ago

So things happend between me and this guy we use to hang out no relationship nothing, I dont even think I hugged the kid..I was in a relationship like 3 weeks before that, and soon after like 2 months later I got back into the same relationship, the boy I was dating always held that against me, but I mean should he ? we wernt dating at that point and it wasnt like I was in another rellationship.

"should have known you were mad"
    ^^ some wrong words might have slipped out of my mouth. The reason for the problem was 100% his fault but I became the bad one due to the words I said.

I always apologized weather I was wrong or not, in the end im still the wrong one.. should i ?

• Brenda
    14 years ago

That situation involves apology from both people, at least the way I see it. You can say all the apologies you want and mean them. .but if that person for some reason really believed you weren't mad and that you didn't just say stuff out of reaction; then an apology won't really clear much air :[

• Aveena
    14 years ago

Ahh thank you..
    You are completely right.. I should have just walkd away and calmd down..

• Elizabeth
    14 years ago

I agree that apologies are like saying, "I love you." If you don't mean it, one, it means nothing; and two, don't say it. Saying you're sorry doesn't mean that the misbehavior will be forgotten or that you learned from your mistakes, instead, as Bob said, "learn the word empathy and smother it with humility".

"...but that person should have known you were mad, and was vulnurable to say anything..."

^ Honestly, even when I am mad, I am always aware and always cautious about what I say, even before I say it. And if I do say something I try to make it constructive and positive rather than destructive and negative. Being angry doesn't give you any special privileges or is never a justification to say or do anything to hurt another person, especially someone you care about and even if [said person] started it. I agree with Britt, your statement that someone "should have known you were mad" is sketchy for me. You shouldn't assume or expect someone to know that you are mad without you telling them that you are or explaining as to why you are.

If I do say or even do something out of anger, I apologize only if I know that I mean it (if I regretted what I had said or had done, felt it was unnecessary and there was an alternative option to dealing with it). It I don't mean, or don't mean it at that time, I won't apologize until I do. When I apologize, regardless if it was "my fault" or what the other person said or did, I will step up, be the bigger person, apologize and mean it. Even if I don't get an apology in return, I at least feel better knowing that I apologized and am moving forward.