Looking For Fellow Musicians(Composers Mostly)

• Dan Bloom
    14 years ago

Hey!

I attend The Boston Conservatory and I'm just looking for people who are interested in classical composition. I like talking about the latest happenings going on in the world and I'm curious as to what other people think about music. Is there anyone else like me out there?

• Minkus
    13 years ago

I don't have that much of a background so far, but I do some composing of my own, mostly using MIDI arrangements in a program called Pro Tracks. The thing is, my friends all think that it sounds like video game music because most people have only heard MIDI sounds in video games, so it feels like I'm never taken seriously!

I did take a class in music history fall semester, during which we covered the really major composers from Bach and Handel through modern ones like Cage and Stravinsky. I have to say, my favorite composers were the impressionistic ones like Debussy and Ravel. I don't keep up with present-day classical music though. Have any suggestions?

• Dan Bloom
    13 years ago

I most certainly do have suggestions! I love Debussy and Ravel as well. I'm glad to see I have found at least one other musician lol

For a piece by Debussy, definitely check out both books of piano preludes, and La Mer if you haven't already. Fantastic. When your looking at the preludes(or listening) keep in mind he wrote many of them in a day or two. Both books span about a month and a half of writing time. That's insane!

Also, for Ravel, he is known for orchestration but I can't think of his works for some reason. However, one of my favorite pieces of all time is his String Quartet in F Maj. I think it's his 4th? Not positive. Amazing though.

Pm me when you get this btw. I'd love to talk sometime.

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

I have played piano for eight years, i sing, and play flute.
    On piano i like to write my own music. :)
    ...but that doesn't mean it's very good... lol

• jarrod
    13 years ago

I enjoy playing my classical guitar the most but I've only ever had electric guitar training. Check out my song entitled spanish freestyle at my showcase.

[Please do not advertise by posting websites. If you'd like to 'showcase' your work, please ask people to PM you for more info. Thank you, Joe.]

• Dan Bloom
    13 years ago

Hey Hannah,

Any questions please ask! I think it would be great to have you since you're so consistently online.

Danny

• H. Elizabeth
    13 years ago

Well thanks Danny!!
    I'd be honored, haha.
    Have you already posted the club?? I'll look for it.

And, if I'm not online for a while, I'm probably too busy. I have piano compotition coming up February 26. I need to work on some memorizing, but mostly pedaling and dynamics. My pedaling isn't that great...I sprained my ankle a while back, but it took so long to recover. I had to switch solos because the first one had too much pedaling.

Peace(:
    --Hann

• Shellaine shelli
    13 years ago

Hey hey:)
    well i play drums and guitar.
    i have a pretty wide appreciation for different genres of music. from screamo to grunge to punk to metal to classic rock to jazz to blues to house and hip hop:) i use to be in a band called the torn(as the drummer) we were inspired by nirvana/ the smashing pumkins. some of my favorite bands and artists consist of: nirvana, darkest hour, haste the day, the fall of troy, bring me the horizon, devil wears prada, johnny cash, led zeppelin, pink floyd, korn, stone sour, atreyu, non phixion, arch enemy, as i lay dying, queens of the stone age, kimya dawson, matt costa, afi, billy talent, blink 182, angels and airwaves, dead prez, eminem, in flames, joan jet, john mayer, lordi, mudvayne, sex pistols, otep, p.o.d, a day to remember, we came as romans, violent femmes, night wish and so many more (theres too much to type here) but basically I LOVE MUSIC :)