Do love really last?

• March Azel
    14 years ago

.is love enough to make the relationship last?
    .i dont get it..
    .but in my opinion friendship makes the relationship last?
    how bout you?

• Captivat3d
    14 years ago

I agree, love isn't enough. In a relationship, the person has to respect you, and be loyal, etc. There's a lot of things that you need in a relationship to make it last. But, I do think love lasts. Like for example, we'll ALWAYS love our parents. That, for most of us, will never go away.

• Captivat3d
    14 years ago

Yeah, I know they're certain situations that come up where you end up essentially hating your parents that's why I added "that, FOR MOST OF US, will never go away".

But, in some cases love does last but for others, it might not.

• HisBlueEyedAngel
    14 years ago

To me it just depends on the people and the relationship but I think yeah to love someone in a relationship you should have a friendship to but friendship and love make it last at least for me it has.

• Elizabeth
    14 years ago

I don't believe friendships determine how long a relationship will or will not last. A relationship is a lot different than a friendship, especially if you're coming from a friendship into a relationship. Everyone I know whose taken that step has said that it was different, that the relationship didn't last and that their friendship was never the same. However, that's not to say that it can't work out or that would happen, but it is a possibility even if you don't think it can be. My partner and I have known each other and have been together for over 4 years, he's one of my best friends, although, we didn't start out as friends. When I first met him, and likewise when he first met me, we wanted to be more than just friends. The friendship we have now grew, alongside our love for each other, over time.

I don't believe that love is simply enough. Along side love, I also think it requires mutual respect, honesty, faithfulness, patients, understand, compromise, sacrifice, communication, determination, commitment, passion, spontaneity, etc. If you don't have that, then what do you have? My partner and I share these beliefs. It's been 4 years and our relationship is as strong, if not stronger, than ever and only continues to be.

I agree with Amanda. If a disagreement is enough to break you up, and if you do so on a regular basis, that tells me that neither of the people are ready to be in a relationship. Sometimes, despite that you may love one another, relationships aren't worth it. Such as abusive relationships. If a person, man or woman, physically, verbally or abuses their boyfriend, girlfriend or spouse in any other way yet claims to "love" them, I'd call them a liar. And if someone who was being abused told me that their partner loved them, I would tell them that love isn't enough and that if they loved you they wouldn't treat you this way. I just can't see how anyone could justify or have any "excuse" to treat the person they claim to love in that way; there is none. I certainly wouldn't turn the other cheek to it. Abuse, of any degree or form, is something I would never stand for, alongside infidelity (and likely a few other instances that escape me at the moment).

• HisBlueEyedAngel
    14 years ago

I do agree with you Elizabeth...

• Viola
    14 years ago

In my opinion being friends before being in a relationship really helps...because you already know each other and there is a trust that's already in place (though friendship trust and relationship trust are not completely the same). However, with that said, it's not necessary to be friends before. When you are in a relationship with someone you become their friend too.
    Like mentioned before having love last means you have to fight for it. What I always say is nothing in life is free except opportunities, so you have to capture them and fight to keep them (and by fight I don't mean actual physical fighting).

• Natalie84
    14 years ago

People seem to have the misconception that a friend can make the best partner. Not true...my husband is my best friend...however, it wasn't always that way and it certainly isn't our friendship that holds us together. Love is hardwork and you have to be committed. If you're not in it for the right reasons you won't be willing to work. Life is crazy and bad things happen...if you're willing to push through the rough patches then chances are you have a chance at making it last....

• 4 track demo
    14 years ago

Old-school romantic here, i do believe that if the love between two poeple is without question valid and honest, that if the two try hard enough than love will suffice..

• Starlight
    14 years ago

Love carries 3 words, and It Isn't "I love you."

• March Azel
    13 years ago

What would it be?

• Brenda
    13 years ago

My mother told me that a heart always wants what it wants. I am still trying to figure out what that means. I think it means that even if you know you're too different from someone, or you know they will only hurt you in the end, or you know that you should just focus on finding someone who understands you... yet you still go with that person? Love takes over. Emotions may not be a roof over your head, or happily ever after.

But; butterflies in the stomach do find a way to enter your heart.

A heart just wants what it wants, as my mother says.

• Elizabeth
    13 years ago

"My mother told me that a heart always wants what it wants. I am still trying to figure out what that means. I think it means that even if you know you're too different from someone, or you know they will only hurt you in the end, or you know that you should just focus on finding someone who understands you... yet you still go with that person."

^ I think that's what it exactly means... In all honesty, in my opinion, it's bull. For example, say I date a guy. It's been a couple years. I'm in love. He starts hitting me and calling me degrading names. Would I stay with him because I love him? Absolutely not! Sorry, but I'd rather do in my mind what I know is right than to follow my heart in that sense. However, I don't believe the mind or the heart are separate. Some people may think that one is enabled by the other, however I believe and feel that my mind and my heart go hand in hand. My mind knows what's right and my heart knows what feels right.

• NettaJay
    13 years ago

If love is in a relationship, then everything else should fall in line.

• AngelicDecadence
    13 years ago

I think.. Love isn't everything. And if you're in love for the right reasons, then yes, it probably could last. I also think there is a distinct difference between passion and love. You can be passionate about someone for a while, thinking they are the greatest people on the planet and your just perfect for eachother...and then, the passion starts to fade. you grow older and you lose some of that fire for the other person, in most cases, its inevitable, so you have to have something to replace it when that time comes. I.E. respect for the other person, love for who they are as a whole, commitment to not give up, understanding their faults and trying to sharpen them to be better, to change them for the better (Yes, i do think someone who you love should change you, but only for the better).
    I also believe that you have to have your own views, but also respect that other people (including your partner) can have other ideas, that can also be correct.
    Most of all, I think true love is sacrifice. You have to be willing to give up some things for that person, to swallow your pride sometimes, to not be selfish and to put their needs ahead of yours, but...love only works, it only lasts, if both people are willing to sacrifice their wants for one another.