Poems that moved you?

• A F
    13 years ago

I'm looking for poems about love or heartbreak? Help? I just need inspiration right now.

• Mike Corrigan
    13 years ago

The thread question was poems that moved us, however, and to be moved I think one needs to find oneself thrust into beauty or mystery. I love poetry, read it all the time, but can't say I am often moved, though sometimes the reaction is "Wow!"
    Hopkins' "Spring and Fall: To a Young Child" is gorgeous. Some of Larkin generates a slow burn wow, for me: "Churchgoing," "High Windows" and "The Whitsun Weddings," say. Poems like this help situate your sensibility in the world;life is more than just an affair of the heart. Some of Housman is moving. Being moved is a subjective experience...
    But to be moved, to experience love and heartbreak, well, music is the medium that can most easily and directly fulfill these needs, for me. Music is 99% heart, 1% head; poetry, connecting, heart and head, is more democratic. (I like desperate songs: "I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner; "Desperado" by Linda Ronstadt. You already have your own favorites.)
    Love poetry? Probably Pablo Neruda's love poems are your best bet. There, I think I finally answered your question!