What do you expect from a guy who has recently broken up?

• Dark Secrets
    13 years ago

How long does it take a guy to be over his first love?
    They dated for 2 years, and it's been 8 months since the breakup, but I feel like he's still in pain from it. He loved her and all and has a lot of memories. He has changed since and is on his feet, out of depression. But still he's afraid of plunging into another relationship and giving his heart away. One day he's ok and acts like he's in a relationship, he's caring, calls and likes to talk. After a while, he seems distant, doesn't call and doesn't like to talk. There are other things going on in his life so maybe it's because of that... I don't know really. So, what should I expect from him?

• Captivat3d
    13 years ago

I don't think you should expect anything from him. Everyone is different and everyone deals with break ups differently. Who knows when he'll move on. Some people take years or never move on. I think you should give him time and if you're not willing to wait then don't.

• Darien
    13 years ago

Two years is a really long time for someone young to be in love. It's been 8 months and he hasn't gotten over it? I'm not really surprised. I dated a girl for a year, and that was about 4 years ago. Even today I still feel tainted by that memory. I even question myself if I'm really over her. I've moved on, but do you ever really get over your first love?.. Sometimes even your second.. Maybe it's just me..

Just give him time. If you end up rushing him, and end up dating, you run the risk of him not having feelings for you, resulting in you being hurt. Be there for him as a friend. That's all you really can do. It will be up to him to make the first move. (once he's ready)

• Dark Secrets
    13 years ago

We're already in a relationship, ours started when theirs ended. I doubt it sometimes that he might've thought of starting a relationship with me because he wanted someone to support him... and he was the one who made tha first move. Just I feel like sometimes he's there and at others he seems distant.

• Darien
    13 years ago

Ouch.. I could tell you from experience, and being that guy whose been in a 2 year relationship, and also dating someone after the relationship ended, it's not going to end well. I was just recently in a relationship with a girl, right after a 2 year relationship, with a girl I fell in love with. It took me a week to get into a new relationship, and I can tell you, I didn't fall in love with that new girl. My mind always drifted to my 2 year ex. It still does. It's been about 4 months since that relationship was over. Don't be surprised if he doesn't fall in love with you.

Jumping into that new relationship was a big mistake, unless you are taking things EXTREMELY slow. A 2 year first love, that's a tough thing to move on from.

• Dark Secrets
    13 years ago

Yeah, I know... which is why I'm asking what to expect from him... as you said, I know now that I should've thought about this before. At times I don't see us together in the future, but it's not a bad thing, because we both sort of know it. He's the kind of guy who doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so it's hard for him to express it if he now feels we shouldn't continue. I don't feel used, I feel like I've helped him a lot, which is why he still hasn't said anything.