Hypocritical topic or not?

• Miss Lonely Teacher
    13 years ago

Right off so you know partially why i'm writing this:
    yes, i have considered and tried suicide before. as you can see it failed...
    anyways, the question.
    1. why is it always viewed from one side: the one being left? if a person is in pain, shouldn't they be allowed to end that pain? we all say "think of how it will make so and so feel", but what about how we feel? think of this: would you want someone to live in agony for their whole life just so you don't have to feel that same pain? or would you allow them to stop the pain even if it means you'll hurt a fraction of how bad they do?
    2. continuing, why is it that eveyone says "we love you" "we'd miss you so much" "it'd be a mistake", but when you do end it, the first thing out of their mouth is "You were weak" "How could you do this to me" and such?

• Beautiful Chaos
    13 years ago

Obviously since we are still here and breathing, emotional pain is something that can be worked through. Suicide is an answer to questions we are afraid to face. One of the hardest things someone can do is look in the mirror and reconcile what they don't like, but it is always possible if you really want it. When I tried to kill myself it was because I was living in denial and I was being selfish. Life is never going to be easy, but death is not dealing with your problems, it is running away and that can be seen as weakness.

• Darien
    13 years ago

Hypocritical?.. A bit. Controversial? 100%.
    You defintiely don't want my opinions.

• HisBlueEyedAngel
    13 years ago

Suicide is very selfish of anyone...

• BehindTheSmile
    13 years ago

I can see how some people think suicide is selfish (especially if you never tried or wanted to kill yourself) but like lost in thought did, you got to look at it from the other persons view. they are obviously suffering real bad if they think dying is the only way out. they are just trying to make the pain stop. and killing themself does that.

ok i really dont know where im going with this so ill just stop there. i cant really side on either side cause i have experience on both ends.

• Sean
    13 years ago

Suicide not only kills you - it kills who you're going to be; that future self which despite everything had a real chance of being happy again, a chance to bring that happiness to even more people than what you already bring to the world.

I 'survived' a suicide-pact, the other didn't - I can only say the ones who jump at the chance to tell you not to do this are the ones who have suffered by it too, the guilt, the burden it crushes people. I've seen her whole family destroyed, her Dad going on to join her....your pain is so important, sometimes we have to suffer tremendously so others don't.

• Dark Secrets
    13 years ago

To answer your first question... People try to convince others that suicide is not the answer by showing them how they'd feel... They think that this shows that person how much they're loved and cared for, when in fact they should be showing it... not saying it. So, their purpose is to show you what you will be leaving and how much others love and care for you, when they're not showing, they're telling. Another reason why they may be doing this is because they see it from their perspective, they do not feel the pain that you feel, because you don't express it by a way where they could see why you're feeling this way. People should be focusing on how to support you and help you move on, without trying to convince you out of suicide. That, I think is the major problem in situations like these... they focus on the problem, not the solution and they focus on the negative, not the positive.
    You may say your life is yours and that you have the right to end it... but you live your life for a reason, there is a purpose you're here for, even if you don't know it. Your life is yours and you are free to live it the way you want, but you are responsible for your life... it is your responsibility to make it work, and if it doesn't, it is your responsibility to change course. Ending your life ends that responsibility and that is why you are considered weak. Look at it this way, if you had a child, it would be your responsibility to take care of that child and make sure it lives a great life, you wouldn't end your child's life because it wasn't working well for you (I mean a living child, so abortion is not in there), same for your own life... it's a responsibility.
    As for regarding it as a weakness and blaming you if you ever took your life, it's just a way of grieving... it happens even if a person dies of natural causes, it doesn't have a real meaning to it.
    Still, people do regard suicide as a weakness, because like I said before, your life is your responsibility and taking it is giving up on that responsibility. Suicide means you quit, you are not strong enough to take on the responsibility of your life.
    Nevertheless, I think people in general don't deal with situations like these well. They usually focus too much on stopping the person from committing suicide rather than helping them accept and move on in life. Sometimes they are treated as mentally ill patients and are provided with medication and contained therapy. They need to be put in natural settings and live natural lives. Doing what they usually do only makes it worse and helps the person focus more on suicide... not enhancing their lives.

• Miss Lonely Teacher
    13 years ago

Quick add in, another question i had no time to add in the begining: first off, don't continue to yell because i have stated my point of view, but, if it is truely so selfish and cowardly (yes i said if now don't yell), then are not the people who follow and do the same thing, cursing the person the whole time, just as bad?

And in case you didn't get what i said, please do stop "more or less" yelling about this. it was just a simple question, the yelling is not helping one bit, it's making it worse.

thank you.

• Elizabeth
    13 years ago

I have a question. Who's, as you claim, "yelling"? That doesn't make sense, not to mention is impossible. If someone was using caps or using '!' I guess you could say they are "yelling" (however you couldn't be completely 100% about that), but as far as I can see everyone's simply just answering your questions or stating their opinions. If it were possible to be "yelling" over a computer the only one here "yelling" would be yourself. You publicly asked others for their opinions, if you don't like what they have to say then you shouldn't have asked.

• Miss Lonely Teacher
    13 years ago

I am not yelling. i am not saying i don't want their opinions, i know i asked. i am simply saying it was a yes or no question and we could do without put downs or name calling. we're not toddlers.