Push yourself to the max

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

What do you do to motivate yourself to get things done?
    I need ideas because what I do doesn't work all the time. Usually I talk to myself about it, motivating myself with my own words, praising, shouting. I also plan on giving myself rewards when I'm done, like going out or buying something new, getting a treat.

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

Oh I've done that! It helps sometimes, but not always.

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

^^ Very helpful. I might be more successful if I made more than one of the same sticky note and stick them in places I'm most likely to be often throughout the day (bathroom, computer room, kitchen, etc.).

One strategy I use to motivate myself to get something I'd meant to do or am meaning to do done is to act on impulse. I don't think about it; I just do it. I don't procrastinate; I just do it. I don't negotiate with myself; I just do it. For example, I often wake up in the morning with plans of working out first thing only to find myself on the computer (on P&Q instead, lol) where I often loose track of time and thus forget to workout. I usually realize that I am not following through with my plans (and working out is an important part of every day for me) and when I do I drop whatever it is I am doing or was thinking about doing. I log out immediately, change into my workout clothes and begin my workouts. I just do it.

Seeing as how this generation is more technologically oriented, another way you can motivate yourself, or rather remind yourself, to get things done is to set an alarm with a note/message attached to it on your cell phone, if you have one.