A situation

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

Okay so I am in a situation and I have a friend in a deeper situation. I haven't known him too long, but he never EVER smiles, laughs, nothing. He sits and stares with a blank expression on his face day and supposedly night. Does anyone by chance have any ideas how to cheer him up? I mean I've tried everything my mind can come up with... so please, anyone?

• Britt
    12 years ago

Have you tried talking to him? I assume yes, but have you tried not bringing up that somethings wrong? Maybe tell jokes and be silly together. I really am not sure, its hard to tell when you don't know the person. Has he been through something tragic?

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

I dont know what the word for it would be, but it is gravely unfair... Yea tragic might fit in. Though I haven't brought the subject up since I found out. I try being silly, but I never seem to succeed there

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

These things need easing into. You should probably not talk to him about it. One of my friends used to be like that, she'd be doodling away in her notebook and I'd be concerned and seem too curious and she once got angry at me and didn't speak to me for about 2 weeks. So, let him talk to you on his own. He needs to trust you and be close to you in order to talk, even then he needs to ask for help in the first place.

I'd say, pay more attention to him, his needs, ask him what he wants to do, what he likes to do. When you meet talk to him, and when he doesn't contribute to the conversation ask him to join, add, express his opinion, if he can relate to the situation... This way you get closer to him and he might open up to you, or get over what ever it is that is bothering him. Then you can start bringing up jokes, funny things that happened to you, play small pranks and stuff like that.

• Miss Lonely Teacher
    12 years ago

I'd say just Be There. even if you show up and it's just you talking, talk to him, tell him funny things, what's going on anything. just let him know that when he want's to talk or have someone just sit with him that you will.

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

Yeah, you guys are probably right. Thank you,

• Hallucinostic
    12 years ago

Give him a chocolate bar then perform a magic trick, the ol Bugs Bunny out of the hat trick will do. Ta-dah! :D

Nah, jk, just be the friendly Maddy K. he knows, sometimes, the simplest actions work yknow, besides, Im pretty sure hes not expecting some grand miracle out of you, though you being friends is, I believe one of those ordinary miracles already. Goodluck Maddy. :D

• Milo
    12 years ago

Sounds like clinical depression. If the symptoms worsen, have him see a doctor. Many people dont think depression is serious, but the prevalence of its characteristics affect everybody involved. Usually there are different types of diagnosis for depression but if he continues to feel worthless, expresses lethargy, a loss of interests in normal everyday activities like watching tv or in family and friends, then he may have more serious forms of depression such as mdd or major depressive disorder which can lead to other mood disorders regardless if he was traumatized by a previous event.

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

Okay thank you guys. I'll take that into consideration...

• Mello193
    12 years ago

Tell him lots of jokes