news on the found dad subject! WE NEED ADVICE and HELP!

• SweetDreamer
    19 years ago

that's awesome that everything's going great 4 u guys. I don't want to seem rude, but I'm just wondering if he loved you so much, y would he just leave you, and not ask for joint custody, or fight to have you in his life?

• Andriana
    19 years ago

Wow. Go visit him. You can drive and stuff. Just say you're going to visit a friend.

• ~*^*~ longing to belong ~*^*~
    19 years ago

You definately should visit him. I'm glad things are going so well for you both. It's a shame about what you mother did. My parents got divorced and had joint custody, but my dad kept trying to convince me that my mum was this horrible human being and that she 'twisted' everything, which infact wasn't true. It was him and his new wife that twisted everything.

Yeah so, well done on getting in touch with your dad, you have got to keep talking to him. Don't let your mum stop you again. Perhaps your dad could get an account on here? You'd be able to talk to him then without your mum suspecting anything? Maybe?

• Bogie
    19 years ago

Cool dude, you got your dad back in your life.
    That’s great, if your step dad is like “no way man”
    and your mom still feels the same, bummer.
    Now being a lot older you would think that
    type of attitude should be let go and forgotten.
    I don’t know the laws were you live, but I can
    say my son at 11 was being abused by his step
    dad, and the courts let him live with me. In Calf.
    when a child is 11 years old they can say whom
    they want to live with. Even when his mom had
    full custody. I could have said no, but I love my
    son and would never say no to him. Im sure your
    dad loves and has missed you too. Anyways he did
    live with me until 15 years old. One day he said
    “I want to live with my mom now, I miss her dad”
    like I said I would never say no, on something like
    that. A lot older he told his step dad “if you hit me
    im going to hit you back” and does not have any
    problem with him now and does live with them.
    Try calling a social worker and ask for advice on
    It, they should keep it confidential and let you
    know what your rights are and what you can do
    and what you can’t do. I am super happy for you
    man and hope all the best for you and your new
    found dad.

P.S. when people divorce sometimes a lot of bad
    s#!t is said and it’s not right or healthy for the kids
    to hear it. Mom and Dad playing who’s the bad guy.
    Take it with a grain of salt cause most of it is hurt ego
    bull s#!t. Good luck and let us know what happens.

• Bret Higgins
    19 years ago

I am sure that at 17 years of age that there could be a legal step you could take.

In the UK we have the CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) that can give free legal advice. I'm sure that one of the older (or younger) American folks can tell you what your version is if you don't know it already.

Believe me, rather than sneaking around you'll find it easier if you can just confront this and prove your father to be the good man he really is.

For now though I would recommend you buying a pay as you go sim card for your mobile/cell if you have one. They are small, no paper record or trails are kept and you can swap them out and hide them very easily. Arrange a specific time for him to call you and you're set.

Bert

• Emma
    19 years ago

I think you should go and see him and Bert is right there should be some legalised rights that you have at 16/17. Try it! Love Emma xxx ps. let me know if you need any more advice. xxx

• Bret Higgins
    19 years ago

legal advice. At your age it should be free.

If not contact your father and go through him.

Being secretive is not the way. If the law is on your side your Mum and step Dad cannot do diddly.

• Ali
    19 years ago

Well if you can chose your legal gaurdian at 14, and youre gonna be 17 then you should be able to chose him. If I mis-read, then you can see if one of your friends would help you out and you can slowly take some things to their house and pack/ship it from there. Its gonna be expensive so you might even have to get your dad to send you some money (even if you can get him to send it to your friends house). if its gonna cause REALLY big problems, theres always the waiting thing. Keep in touch through emails and schedule a time for him to call when everyone else is gone. Or get a phone card and use it (the number wont come up on the bills) then when youre 18, just take your stuff and go. They cant stop you. Youre a legal citizen. REMEMBER to go to the post office and get a forwarding address and ALSO get your birth certificate as well as your social security card. You'll need that stuff too. If theres any slack with getting your things, call the cops they cant bar you from your things. As long as they are yours and you're not being aggressive (and they are) the cops will help you get your things out. Anything else... Private message me and I'll help out the best that I can.

~Ali