Love and friendship

• innocent chalera
    12 years ago

Is it ok to be friends with you ex?

• Britt
    12 years ago

It depends on the circumstances of the breakup and how the relationship was. I'm friends (at a distance) with a couple exes of mine, and some I haven't talked to since we broke up.

• believeinlove87
    12 years ago

I agree with her completely.

Its does depend on the situation. How long you guys were together, what caused the breakup.

Me personally, my exes usually don't become my friends after, its just to awkward for me.

But if you truly care about them & want them in your life you can try. But I'd wait till after you're over them, because if you're friends with an ex & you're not over them...it will prolong the process.

If it feels weird being around them, I wouldn't be there friend. But if you 2 are okay with it, then why not.

• Tammi
    12 years ago

I myself have a lot of my EXs as my friends just becuz it did not work as lovers dont mean u still cant be friends and yes it can take time to get over the breakup sometimes but u can get past it and be friends if u care about the person.

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

It depends on the situation: how long you've been together, how serious you were, what caused the break-up, how you left the relationship, how you dealt with the break-up and if you still have romantic feelings for the other person.

If you leave the relationship on negative terms, such as ending it in an argument or holding negative feelings towards each other without making amends or peace, you probably won't be able to (or even want to) remain friends and won't be able to until you do.

But, if you leave the relationship on positive terms, such as respect and understanding and not hold negative feelings towards each other, I think there is a possibility for two people to still remain friends.

However, if you still have feelings for them it'll only complicate a possible friendship and possible back-fire on you. Also, it wouldn't be fair by you to just be friends with them when you really want to be more than friends or care about them more than as a friend, especially if they've moved on. You'll only be hurting yourself and prolonging the process. Likewise, it wouldn't be fair to them if you still had feelings for them and wanted to be more than friends when they've moved on and all they want to be is friends or thought you were just friends.

To recap, first be sure you've moved on and make sure that you left the relationship on positive terms. And remember, make sure you're both on the same page.

• anjielblue
    12 years ago

For me its awkward to be friends with an ex right away, hmm maybe but i think it takes time to be friends with them(with an ex)...