Meditation

• innocent chalera
    12 years ago

Can meditation help to break the chain of depression

• otakutechie
    12 years ago

I Just have to say Wow...

Yes it can,
    Personally when I was a kid i got depressed a lot and started to think the unthinkable.
    treated for years with medication.
    nothing seemed to work. just fell further and further into a dark hole. then i saw a show on history channel of this monks.
    they talked mostly in philosophy.
    one of which was depressed for years who got better fast without medication, and I wondered what was his secret, it was meditation.

so i tried for days and months and kept getting happier and happier. weened off all the medication. and the doctors have told me to continue meditating for my depression as a side note in my medical records.

now i just meditate in my own weird ways.

another great way to fight depression is through martial arts.
    your body will get healthier and happier so will your mental status. which i have done too..

hopefully this helps you.

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

Definitely! and also changing your lifestyle has an effect. :)

• BlueJay
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh! Will it help depression?!? Heck YES!!!! Will it help every aspect of life, YES!!!!

• Kuro
    12 years ago

For me, it has helped. but because of unforeseen circumstances, i have been unable to meditate effectively lately. which will put you back into that dark hole.

have a back up. but meditation and self reflection can never hurt. (if you are not blocked)

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

To each their own, some things work better for some than others, but I do believe meditation along with other similar activities and physical activities as well can help a person to cope with depression. I know this from past experience myself, having gone through depression and having overcome it. It's definitely a worth-a-try alternative to other methods of coping with/treating depression or something you could pair with other methods.

There are many different types of meditation, other similar activities, such as Yoga, and physical activities, such as a defense class, running and more, one can choose from. They just have to decide what works best for them. And in time, it'll become more than just an exercise to cope with depression, it becomes a way of life.

I'm quite physically active, and one of my favorite activities to do is Yoga. It's had numerous effects on me. It's made me feel more emotionally and mentally balanced and better equipped to handle situations, it's improved my physical appearance and overall health, and in a way spiritually fulfills me as well. It's given me... I wouldn't say a whole new outlook on life, my outlook has always been one of optimism, but it definitely has supported that outlook I have on life and made it stronger. Yoga has enlightened me and proves to have a positive influence on me. It's now become a way of life for me. :)

And remember, consult with your doctor.

• Sean
    12 years ago

I work within mental health; before medication and therapy these are usually the most positive things you can do in my experience.

DIET!! Less sugar, less caffine, less chemicals, more water, more fish and fruit makes faces go from =*( to atleast :( or :| and if your lucky :)!

Excercise, hard when depressed sometimes but if your a moper and a sitting in all day guy, 'least try to go for a walk.

and yes, you and your mind time - time without any distractions, people spend alot of time listening to everything else and not just the one voice that truly matters. Meditation can provide just that.

also; remember that your mind is YOUR mind. If your depressed; sometimes you can think yourself out of it by aiming to think positive. (LOL, i know, patrionising and much harder than that really, but it is the truth)