Some much needed logic and perspective...

• Carrie
    12 years ago

So I was with a man for 3 years, I had known him for 8... we were deeply in love, great friends, and had many amazing memories together. In febuary I chose to end it for all the reasons noone else sees... The love we had just wasnt the same anymore. I will always love him, that will never change but we both accepted that it was time to part ways. I have since then met a man who gave me everything I didnt have with my ex, he opens my door, brings me flowers and never fails to tell me how incredible I am.

My point of confussion lyes in the fact that I still find myslef missing my ex. Not him in particular, just the memories, the fact that in the process I also lost many close firends and restarted my life. My current man is very understanding but the other night he asked if I still love my ex and i told him exactly what i told you all... I will always love him, but its not about him as a person its about the 3 years of my life he occupied.

Is that it? Is that why i find myself missing the sweet things he use to do, or the way he felt around me? I smell his cologne in a public place and all I can think about is how it would feel to be in his arms one last time.... I know that if I ever had that chance i wouldnt take it b/c the feeling isnt the same but that small part of me so desperately want to keep him "close".... am I wrong to be with someone new if I still feel this way?

• Britt
    12 years ago

I think this is 100% normal. I've dealt with this personally and have seen so many other people feel this same way - even when their exes were disgusting jerks, there is still a part of you that feels something. You spent a lot of time together, and nothing will change that. You said you had to restart your life and lost your friends.. that could really be the part of you still holding on and missing a bit. You had a lot of change happening, and that's not always easy, especially when you were used to the same people for so long. You said yourself, you don't miss him, you miss the memories. That's okay.. just be sure you focus on the great guy you have now who gives you what your ex couldn't, and start making great memories with him. :)

• Carrie
    12 years ago

Thanks Britt, It really is good to know sometimes that none of us is ever alone....

• Crimson
    12 years ago

Yea i no how u feel that u find the most amazing guy but u keep thinking aboout ur ex but for me the more memeries u and ur bf make together the more u will forget about ur ex