I deleted my FB account.

• Tangerine
    12 years ago

Ok so here goes.. I deleted my FB account because there is too much stalking on FB. I actually feel great after deleting my account. My aunt's behavior made me delete it permanently. She fussed about my public pictures which included my family. I had no clue that she didn't want our family pictures on public. Well, there were only two family pictures which included her. She made a big issue about it for two whole months. It got really messy and there was no way I could patch things up. I got tired and gave up my FB account for good.

I left PnQ last year and now I'm back mainly for social networking... hmm to compensate for the loss of my FB account.

So what do you guys think?

• Jenna Bella Oldridge
    12 years ago

I couldn't live withouit my facebook account. How sad is that? lol

I think good on you for deleting it as not many people would.

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

More and more often I feel like getting off of facebook. Maybe not deleting it totally, but scaling back both on information and time usage. It's the best way of keeping in touch with distant friends, however.

Yeah, Facebook can be lame. It's a tricky minx to delete completely, though. If you haven't already, you should look up guides for how to make sure that all of your information is actually gone. If you don't check every little box (and manually delete every single picture, etc.), you can think you've deleted it, but Facebook still owns all the information and I think it's still searchable.

• Tangerine
    12 years ago

Hello sibyllene. I've been adjusting for weeks without my facebook and I'm telling you IT IS SO DIFFICULT. Like today, I have all these pictures of the town festival. Unfortunately they won't be uploaded this year. OH and my classmates from 3rd grade and I will have our reunion this year, it's hard to keep in touch without FB.

You're right. My Fb account is still there, dormant and unopened, non-existent as of now. I just can't go back and look at it. It's like a door I won't open coz I know all the mess behind it. Untangling myself from FB is pain. It's like trying to quit smoking...
    I might just write a poem about this..

• believeinlove87
    12 years ago

With facebook if you really wanted to keep it.
    Either delete that one.
    Or make a new one & invite only certain people. Make it very private to where people can't even search for you. I love facebook too, Mines private too. Only thing you can see is my default picture.

thats just a way if you wanna have it :)

• Tangerine
    12 years ago

Hello believeinlove8 7, thank you for sharing your thoughts..

I've decided to freeze my FB for a while. I'm trying to let things cool down before I go back to using my FB. I found it pretty cool that most of my friends still replied via email. It makes me wonder what people will do if FB doesn't exist.. Maybe email is still the next best thing.

My aunt will still find me no matter how private my FB is. LOL she will have her way in..

but I so MISS FB! it's not worth saying I MISS IT without actually posting it on my FB WALL. LOL

• believeinlove87
    12 years ago

You're welcome :)
    When I deleted mine a while back I always came right back to it lol

True, I agree with you. So many of my friends are addicted to facebook, I only use it to keep in touch with friends that live out of state/country.
    hah i know people like that!!

and haha i know right? :)

My dads like facebook contributes to so many break ups with relationships & I'm like yes it does but also its a way of finding out the truth about alot of things lol

• Yakori bint Muhammed
    12 years ago

Facebook?? Social networking has created alot of brouhaha all around the world. In my opinion it depends on the person. With self discipline and knowing whom to add as friends and how you restrict ur privacy set-up in social portals to keep intouch with folks and friends matters. Been i a'int an online networking freak, it doesn't change nothing in my life.

I'm not in facebook though i use it to get in contact with friends when the need to do so surfaces. In as much as i've deleted my account; i haven't deleted my friends list. I have few friends, less than 60. I just deactivate my account briefly when the need arises such as, birthdays, engagement or marriage, death et al. Anything worthy of sending a goodwill or sympathy message to the person. As soon as i do that i deactivate. That's the only use of my facebook account. The disadvantages are more than the advantage. With my phne n email add, i get intouch with close folks.

So thumbs up! to getting rid of facebk. People use it as a medium to do ridiculous and irrational acts making it a do or die affair. So tread carefully incase you wish to use any other online networks since this is the era of craze for social networking and BB phones. I hate how people go crazy and do weird stuffs just to own a Blackberry phone.

Anyways take care.

• Milton
    12 years ago

I never used FB and I don't ever plan to. In fact I get a headache every time I hear the word. >_>

• ether
    12 years ago

Facebook is corrupt. They have blocked a website from being mentioned because they don't like it. They've probably done that to more than one but that's all I know about.

• ronel mccarthy
    12 years ago

Your aunt is the problem ..........she interferes too much although she is entitled to her opinion .

• Tangerine
    12 years ago

Yeah, she is the problem. LOL but I can't terminate my aunt from my life so I terminated Facebook instead. Life sucks. But yeah I've been adjusting for two months now, and it can't get any better.

• BearAnon
    12 years ago

Facebook is great for social networking and keeping in touch with long-distance/old friends. The biggest problem with it is how much of your personal life can be accessed by outside individuals if they wish (unless you cover your back, that is). I'm also not a fan of how the site owns and stores everything that you post. I've heard tell of back-logged information which users have deleted but remains in "trash cans" on their servers.

A bit unnerving if you ask me. And it'll be even worse if any bills pass that allow the government access to your personal internet/cell phone data.

A bill that proposes this is being looked at this week in Canada. It pains me to think that fear mongering works so well and will cause us to lose our private lives.

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

I think it's a good choice you made to favor your aunt over FB, although I don't think you should let her control you that way. If she was upset about pictures of her, just don't post any, even if she isn't clear in them.
    For reasons more than socializing I can't delete my facebook, and I wouldn't for anyone. Two of these reasons are that I get news from there, news of my country's revolution and stuff I can't get anywhere else except for twitter, and I don't have a twitter account and don't want one. The other reason is that me and my colleagues from uni use facebook to communicate for uni, we put down updates, notices, discussions, have polls and lots of other things because using FB doesn't require us to add all our colleagues and it makes things less private and awkward.
    If I was facing what you are now, I would talk to my aunt and see what was bothering her to stop the problems that she thinks exist. I would probably try to stop posting the photos she doesn't want me to post, especially if they're only the ones she is in. If it's all the photos I'd hide them from certain people, or her. The most drastic measure would be to delete and recreate a profile like some people here said.

• Tangerine
    12 years ago

Hello Dark Secrets,

:) I talked to my Aunt about it right after it happened and it did not go well. She is narrow-minded, especially about things like the internet. I gave up my case BUT I reactivated my account on the hope that she have forgotten about that incident. :D You are right, I miss keeping in touch with my colleagues, and friends from afar. I do not miss FB, unlike before.. I used to miss the applications and all the stuff in it. Bottom line is I want to communicate with my friends again. I hope everything goes well. Turns out I have to wait for 24 hours before they activate my account. *crosses fingers*