Addicted to dreaming

• TSI25
    12 years ago

So i dont think im depressed, but lately most of the best parts of my day have been when im asleep and dreaming. over the past few weeks this means that ive been pretty much going out of my way to sleep, and when i do sleep its restless anyway, dont know why.

if i do get really well rested, my brain works in horrific overdrive, overanalyzing and taking the enjoyment out of pretty much anything, and it doesnt even feel like i am me, its like im watching my actions take place through a movie, or maybe casually piloting my body while paying attention to other fruitless thoughts. only way ive found to stave this off is literally to count to 500 over and over again in an attempt to fill up enough of my mental capacity so as to remain focused and not let my mind wander to futile demoralizing pursuits like the meaninglessness of life.

then if i deprave myself of sleep intentionally, it just feels like some kind of punishment, and i spend the next day tired and mildly irritated.

every morning when i wake up theres just that 3 hour period where i go from some fantastic and awesome position to just this really annoying, tiresome waking reality thats just plain irritating, and for the rest of the day im just tired in every possible way one can be tired.

its as if experiencing the world is just sort of a necessary obligation in order to enjoy sleep again. so i think im addicted to dreaming.

what should i do?

• Dark Secrets
    12 years ago

I think the only way you can resolve this is to make your life more interesting than your dreams... I've been through this by the way and I sometimes feel something is missing if I start a dream and never end it. The truth is dreams reflect reality in a weird way; either emotion wise, or thought wise, and I think your dreams are getting close to your thoughts on how life should be, which is why you're "addicted" to them.

It's hard to do that though, and so you need to do it gradually... start by monitoring your sleep and diet. You need 6-8 hours of sleep a day, adjust your alarm to get just that. When it comes to diet, you should stay away from food that makes you sleepy during the day (like pasta and pastry<<< they make me sleepy) and start eating things that make you feel energetic (like apples).

Stay away from routine and stress, it makes you feel like you're not you as you said.

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

It seems to me, sir, that you've got a moderate case of the ol' existential angst. I don't know if anyone's figured out a way to think themselves out of that one... it seems to just happen, eventually. Dark Secrets has some good points, though. You need a little structure, and to give yourself projects (even if they feel meaningless). You might be philosophically suspicious of it, but that seems to be what it takes to live in the world sometimes. Sometimes when you start out faking it, you'll be surprised eventually by how it becomes real.

This is kind of a roundabout answer, sorry. It just seemed like more conventional methods might not be applicable here.

• Kevin
    12 years ago

I think you should blow out the cobwebs with a good solid night of drinking, dancing and all round nonsense. I think I'm due for one of those nights as well.

All things in balance my good man, even balance.

• Ronel McCarthy
    12 years ago

Why don't you meditate or see a reiki...........dreams are part of our subconscious and gives us warnings or clues when maybe we need to change our lifestyle or something :)hope you feel better