Girlfriend wants me to propose, what should i do?

• TSI25
    11 years ago

Shes 17, im 19, shes not even in college, im about halfway through it. we have been dating for almost 2 years, but shes saying that our entire relationship would be meaningless, and negative if i didnt marry her. she accuses me of not actually showing that i love her by saying that i dont talk about marrying her, or proposing to her. i said i dont want to propose until after college, but shes saying that 2 years would go by really, really quickly and thats why we should talk about it now. she quotes figures that most couples get engaged after 2 years or the arent successful and is really pushy for my to propose nowish. she also says that she doesnt want to be just a girlfriend for the amount of time that it would take me to graduate from college and get a job. what do you guys think i should do? ill need to delete this thread before she finds it cause she likes to stalk my stuff on the internet, but i need some other people's opinions on this. am i just being crazy and inconsiderate for being reluctant? or is she being as pushy as it feels like...

• PnQ Mod Account
    11 years ago

No, you're not being inconsiderate. If you are reluctant, the worst thing you could do would be to propose to her. I think talking about it is fine, but you need to both be honest and open about your intentions. Do you feel like you will marry her eventually, but want to get more settled in life, first? Tell her that. Are you happy with your current relationship, but aren't ready to think about marriage yet? Tell her that.

To me, it sounds like this relationship has some shaky points, and she needs to know that they absolutely won't be solved by getting engaged. If I were her, I sure wouldn't want to feel that the only reason my boyfriend proposed to me was because I basically forced him into it.

Also, she stalks your stuff on the internet? ...Are you sure you even want to be with this gal? She sounds like she could use a dose of reality.

-Whoops, still in the Mod account. This is Sibyllene

• Britt
    11 years ago

Holy crap she is cray cray.

I was with my (now fiance) for three years before he proposed last August. I wanted to marry him but didn't push him, because I don't want to make the decision for him. This has to be a decision you make when you are ready to do.

You guys are young, she is WAY too young to be engaged or getting married. Did one of her friends just get engaged?

She sounds really immature to me. Jason and I didn't have a meaningless relationship until I got a ring on my finger. That's all a proposal really is. A ring on her finger and a promise to get married sometime. Then what, she wants to push the wedding up because "a long engagement shows people that we aren't REALLY sure if we want to get married, people will start saying you don't want to actually marry me".

Give in now and you're screwed, pal. She throws up too many red flags here. I would be reevaluating the relationship and see if this is something you do want to move forward with.. but definitely don't propose unless you WANT to and are ready.

ETA: I love you, Sib lol

• keithnwv
    11 years ago

Run Forest RUN !!!!

• flaredhyz
    11 years ago

Could u imagine urself live together with her the rest of ur life?? if yes, u know what to do.

lmao Keith !!

• Blackstar
    11 years ago

I think you should wait till you think its the right time to do that. Its stupid that she tries to push you to do that and if she says that if you dont do that she isnt with you after that time then she just doesnt love you enough it seems. If you care about each others feelings you would wait together and have the patient for it when you both would be ready to make that choice.

And ofc like said above already your too young to be engaged or married, youll never know how it will all work out when your still so young.

• pixie
    11 years ago

Ultimatums can destroy a relationship. I gave my boyfriend a similar ultimatum (I told him he had to move in with me or face me leaving to another state and us breaking up) and the results were not in my favor. I guess I had wanted to scare him because I felt that our relationship was paused at around three years even though we had been together five at that time.
    Are you sure this isn't what your girlfriend is trying to do to you?
    I issued an ultimatum because I wanted our relationship to move forward and it changed (just not the way I wanted it to).
    Basically, what I am trying to say is NO, you should not propose. Try to explain how you feel. How unsure you are. Try to understand how she feels. If there has been any problems in your relationship before, they may be attributing to why she wants to be betrothed. The relationship's past was a major factor into my ultimatum.
    If you do want to marry her in the future, try telling her the benefits of waiting. After college and beginning a career with your diploma you can: buy her a decent ring, save more money for the wedding, she can get married without parents' permission, she will be able to drink legally if married after 21, and you two may be more stable after waiting a few years to purpose and get married.
    Just reason with her because believe me, it sucks to be her. She probably feels rejected. However she needs to know what this ultimatum can do to your relationship.

• Love is a Beautiful Thing
    11 years ago

Lmao at the run forest run!!!!!!! yeah dude yall are waaayyyy too young f***in 17!!!!! if she wants a ring tell if you get one a small promise ring and if you do that make SURE she knows the DIFFERNCE!!!!

EDITED Profanity.
    Please refrain.

• Yours Truly xO
    11 years ago

Lmfao

• Melvin LeVeque
    11 years ago

My girlfriend is the same , but we joke mainly ..it depends on what kind of relationship you have... tell her your intentions and just communicate....off topic..this is my first forum post in like 5 years!

• dan
    11 years ago

Go with the flow. Set a wedding date for 2018...I guarantee you guys won't last that long so you'll be home free. Ring? Yeah, one for her finger and one for your nose...clues..

• Kevin
    11 years ago

Ask her if she would be happy for you to get married when you don't feel 100% sure about it. She will hopefully say no, but then of course she will start trying to convince you in as many ways as possible. SO expect lots of invites to her married friends parties/films about marriage etc.

Also, it needs to be said that a big portion of men are never "ready" for marriage, but it works out sometimes. Ok, the stats don't support that, marriage is a bad gamble but its not like you can't walk away from it.

• A Poets Handwriting aka ALISHA
    11 years ago

Definitely DO NOT propose unless YOU want to and are ready to! Discuss your reasons for this with her and hopefully she will back off. If she is committed to the relationship working she will understand that now is not the right time for you to propose to her.

Did one of her friends just become engaged?
    Because if she just wants a ring to say 'hey I'm engaged too' then she sure as hell isn't ready!

It's in your hands mate. Hope it all works out. (:

LOL at the Forest Gump reference!!