What kind of poetry do you like?

• LittleMsPink
    10 years ago

I was kinda curious to what kind of poetry most people like, share your answer?

• silvershoes
    9 years ago

Hmm, I'm usually drawn to free verse. Poems about life and love are my favorite. Most of my poems are sad, probably because that's when I feel like writing.

Do you have any favorite poets or poems you'd like to share?

• Colm
    9 years ago

I tend to like poems I cant fully understand when I know the poet does. I like poems that can be multi-fasceted, often sad poems because maybe I can identify more with that 'happy' poems. I like free verse, originality and dont much like rhyme/formed poetry. But each poem is different are there are no set rules to liking a poem as such, sometimes a poem you dont expect or isnt even that good can just click.

• Kakera
    9 years ago

I think I like poetry as free from form as possible. Free verse not counted, since it can technically be called a form in and of itself. When I write poetry, it's usually to break free from the depths of my own darkness - not to shackle myself into it further. That's why I (for now) don't WRITE formed poetry.

And when it comes to reading it, the same goes. I love spoken word/slam, and free verse overall. I love it when the rules are set by the writer alone, and to all h*ll with all the rest. Because that's where the writer's uniqueness can truly shine.

Or so I think. You can't really expect to ask this question without some seriously pretentious answers though. :D

PS: I hate happy poetry overall, except for love poems, and maybe some of the inspirational ones.

• -Choke-On-MY-Halo-
    9 years ago

Sad&Dark all my poetry is sad even the "love" poems all mine are sad for lots of reasons I don't write happy ones

• John Doe
    9 years ago

Poetry about love,loss,grief and revenge. A full circle

• Maple Tree
    9 years ago

Well I'm a bit odd.... I like it all!!

ALL POETRY... all genres, all forms and styles.. Very eclectic like that, always have been.

I like to write it all as well..

I can read a very heavy, metaphoric/ wordy poem and faint! Then in two seconds.. I can read a very simplistic rhyme or free verse poem that makes me bawl my eyes out and faint as well...

• GB
    9 years ago

Free verse and formatted poetry.
    I don't like easy/straightforward writing and many times I find myself creating or searching for new vocabularies/ideas just to come up with a good metaphoric piece.

• Larry Chamberlin
    9 years ago

I'm with Andrea. Never met a form I didn't like.

• Beautiful Soul
    9 years ago

For me I stay away from sonnets and limericks.

But I like shorter forms like etheree, senryu/haiku, oddquin. :)

• Caroline Hite
    8 years ago

I enjoy any type of poem that makes me feel. Something deep and life altering, which is, I think, the most wonderful part of poetry. A few simple lines and you will never be the same.

• Larry Chamberlin
    8 years ago

Caroline, I guess you've hit on what the true purpose of poetry should be.

• Bob Shank
    8 years ago

Short , powerful and with a bang at the end......also love long poems that tell an amazing story or experience

• Beautiful Soul
    8 years ago

I like shorter poems, and etherees

• roomanahmad
    8 years ago

I like it sad and romantic poetry

• Ben Pickard
    8 years ago

Caroline has it: whatever makes you feel.

• Koan
    8 years ago

There is only one kind of poetry! The good one ~loughs~ and poetry can only be as good as its readers..
    Something to think about it peeps...