Lovers of formatted poetry, where are you?

• GB
    9 years ago

I'm looking for any contest, challenge, active club, members who are interested in poetry forms.

I haven't written much poetry lately and I'm now pretty interested to refresh my mind, it's been years.

• Naughtymouse
    9 years ago

I loooove formed poetry :)))

Quaterns....when executed right are possibly my favs...eh...but i do like a nice haiku or tanka.....but then...ugh..tooooo maaaany!

• GB
    9 years ago

Yes, there are too many poetry forms, most of them are written and posted here on this site.

It would be great to have a constant poetry contest related to the different forms, that would be challenging and more than motivating.

I'm very grateful for some old members here who were always willing to introduce all types of poetry.

• Naughtymouse
    9 years ago

The Quatern is probably my favourite, this is one i wrote recently.

If I could stop the hands of time
    and hold her for eternity,
    there'd be a moment, so sublime,
    the gods would stop their toil to see.

I'd lose myself in those brown eyes
    if I could stop the hands of time,
    sit and watch her royal sunrise,
    reflects her beauty, heart and mind.

I've never seen grace of this kind
    like crystal love birds flying high,
    if I could stop the hands of time
    she would know of love, never sigh.

Life would be how it ought to be,
    we'd build a house and plant a tree,
    the brightest stars that ever shined,
    if I could stop the hands of time.

A Quatern is a sixteen line French form composed of four quatrains. It has a refrain that is in a different place in each quatrain. The first line of stanza one is the second line of stanza two, third line of stanza three, and fourth line of stanza four. A quatern has eight syllables per line. It does not have to be iambic or follow a set rhyme scheme.

I have written a few of these and i have found the "trick" is to make sure that the refrain you use is a good one, if you get your refrain right then it makes the construction of the poem much stable.

:) a bit waffly i know and tbh not even sure that hat you want but i lovvve this style :)

• Lost One replied to Naughtymouse
    4 years ago

Are you Siso the Poet?

https://m.facebook.com/sisothepoet/posts/908809862499350