Online meetings

• Em
    7 years ago

I have a friend that met someone online (I'm not judging as I have before and it seems to be the norm now) anyway the sight they met on was like a dating/friendship site and I was wondering what you'd think if you met someone on one of those sites and they seemed genuine enough BUT apparently stayed on that site because they've been on it a few years and met some good friends there?

• ether
    7 years ago

I've met someone nice on Tinder and stayed on it too. I had my reasons: I wanted to meet people as I was in a totally new city and had no friends. In my bio I put I was only there for friends from the beginning, but that one boy slipped through the cracks of my bio and in to my heart. He didn't seem to mind that I kept Tinder - he even encouraged me to find someone who had a dog when I was homesick for my own puppy.

It's a grey area. I'm a pretty free person and only attract similar types. I don't imagine a lot of people would be okay with their partner keeping their profile up after forming a serious relationship.

• Em
    7 years ago

Thanks for your input Ether.
    I guess I see both sides there. The only thing that bothers Mr is my friends happiness and him still having his relationship status as 'single' and hasn't updated it but can visit the site a few times a day so I'm told.

• Bianca Rincon
    7 years ago

The internet can be a great way to meet new people. I've met friends and have gone on dates using websites like OkCupid and Tinder. You have to foster trust and honesty in a relationship. If he is genuine and wants to stay on the website, let it be. How do you find out if it is more than that? Well, ask your friend to be observant and to use her intuition. The best relationships come from a place of honesty, love, and communication, and I'm sure one way or another your friend will learn this and develop great relationships. If the website is anything like OkCupid, it would be pretty easy to see what it says he is looking for (friends vs long term dating, short term dating, casual sex, etc)

• Em
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for your input Bianca. He is still on their but they seem happy together.