19 years ago

Kayce: year-here
    tree-me
    away-stay
    content-sacrament

Do these words not rhyme?

The rhyme scheme is abcb.

It is very.... very common.

The only stanza that does not rhyme completely is the second.

"A color stands abroad
    On solitary hills
    That science cannot overtake,
    But human nature feels."

Hills and feels do not completely rhyme. It only sounds like they do because of the slang in our world.

If the author wanted it to rhyme he would have switched "feels" to "fills", or "hills" to "heels"

• Pianist
    19 years ago

No....

The second stanza is implying to us the color of spring which only spring has. Though the color is non-existant, the author could be implying a certain feeling with a metaphor to color.

The feeling is not sad at all...

More of awe, and wonderment

• Pianist
    19 years ago

Friends: Yes you are correct in saying that line 1 and 3 follow assonance, but that does not change the rhyme scheme of the poem...

ABCB rhyme scheme is common, but that has no effect on the poem whatsoever...

Emily Dickinson added extra features into her poem which (to a observant eye) highten the poem to it's best potential...

Yes, many poems are metaphorically thought out from the greats (that we are taught of). That does not change what the poem truly is though...

I do not know why she uses alliteration in the fourth stanza... It could possibly have some special meaning to Emily, or it could just have been used for lack of a better word...

Either way... the poem that is posted above is not that of which Kayce seems to have...

If she would be willing to post the poem which she is meaning of I would be glad to discuss the content of it with you Friends...

• Krystin
    19 years ago

beautiful poem i must say. Emily is one of my favorite poets!