Attention, Please!!

• Pianist
    19 years ago

I find many members are influenced by the "other" poems they read on this site.

Allow me to explain...

When a person comes across a poem that has received many votes/comments/both, they become intrigued to read and discover why the poem has gained the recognition it has. When discovering that most of the comments are based upon sympathy, the reader has a desire to gain that same recognition by writing a story of their own, that matches that of the poem they came across.

Another obvious conclusion could be the likeness between the members of this site (as infact we are all poets). Some of us may have a few of the same experiences, and so we all feel the need to express our feelings through a poem.

This does not apply to all who write these "stories" that have been repeated constantly. There are many different situations in which this coincidence can occur.

Even so, there are some excellent poems on this site that could be considered "sympathy poems." Though they may have that label, it does not take anymore away from their true value.

• Pianist
    19 years ago

I believe you meant therapeutic...

lmao... we all do it

• Mandy-Rae
    19 years ago

maybe more people have somethign in common than you guys may think. Maybe more people just need to reach out to one another and communicate their feeling to one another to help each other get throgh it. Just because one person writes a poem about cutting themselves doesn't mean that no one else can do the same. Same with love poems, they write what they feel. You shouldn't judge a person just because "they write similar things as other people do". If anything, they should be judging you for putting a label on a large group of people before you even know them. If you don't like the fact that people write similar things, maybe you shouldn't read their poems. If you continue to read them, that's your choice and you shouldn't be ragging on them for YOU reading it. Our society is way to judgemental and needs to find a new way of thinking.

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

Nobody - summed it up in a nutshell :o)

Well spoken - I hate repeating so Ill just agree

• Kevin
    19 years ago

Nobody, you write your theories like someone who has never had them challenged, very matter of fact when discussing the behaviours of everyone in here upon studying a popular poem.

When i find a poem thats rated highly, i don't try to find out why so i can emulate it...i just read it as i would any other poem.