is it just me...

• Kaitlin Kristina
    19 years ago

Some of mine are so long I have part 1 and 2... if that answers your question ;)

• DMG
    19 years ago

Some poems are noticeably longer than others, but this takes nothing away from their content or level of credibility. I've noticed that people on this site definitely prefer shorter poems, but longer poems often depict their meaning through clearer pictures. It's all about preference really.

• Lipton
    19 years ago

Dante... I read that. Good book.

~Ciao Lipton

• Lipton
    19 years ago

Ismail:

Actually, you never said, "enrapture," you said, "enrapure."

And, waste your time doing what? Making yourself look intelligent? Seriously, though. You hit yourself twice: Once for using the wrong word, and twice for spelling it wrong.

~Ciao Lipton

• brittney paden
    19 years ago

long poems are great but every once in a while you just get tired of them. like i love them and all but i think that short poems are good to. like ive written a couple of long ones. but they werent so long like some that i read. but i personally dont care both are good. mainly it depends what the poem is about to. b/c if its about love i dont want to read for 15 min bout love. lol

• pinkalias
    19 years ago

*note: i see there is another discussion taking place but choose not to read all of it, thus my comment is directed to the original topic*

Theres no such thing as a poem too long.

unless it sucks.

Poetry is something that expresses emotion and state of mind, it cannot be brought to an abrupt halt when the writer, or viewers, say it should.
    The poem could be broken up into parts or read in several sit-downs in order to make the read less strenuous on the viewer if it really was that great in length, but no one can say that a poem is too long unless the same meanings are repeated or if the talent display just goes downhill.

• Sean Allen
    19 years ago

I deleted the side discussion mentioned in the "*note" above because it was:

1) Off topic
    2) Disrespectful all around
    3) Contained cursing that would have made the sentences look pretty silly if I had tried to edit it out, courtesy of JPM. Heh.

As far as long poetry goes, I agree with JPM and many others who voiced similar opinions. I actually caught a spelling error by JPM, the book written by Dante is the Divine Comedy, not the Devine Comedy. That's a first for me, so I apologize if it seems a bit tangential.

By the way, someone mentioned Romeo and juliet and stated that it was not a poem. if you look at any of Shakespeares plays, however, you'll find there are enormous sections where the characters speak in either sonnets or line after line of iambic pentameter.

• Nicholle
    19 years ago

i agree

• Eibutsina
    18 years ago

LOL Chris - intelligent humour...I love it :o)

• EoB
    18 years ago

A poem written in a language similiar to what Tia used in the post above, I believe I would hang myself after two, maybe three, lines...

as for the rest, it's probably just you:)

(depends on how good it is)

• no one
    18 years ago

it doesn't make a differents wheather it's long or short as long as it gets the point across and it expresses what the person was feeling. if you don't like to read long poems then don't read them, but you might be missing on alot.

love always
    jelly

• Lydie
    18 years ago

Lol - Nothing's too long, just like nothing is too short... You have to admitt though some of the long ones on here are the best ones!

-Lyd