Profanity In Poems

• Tarikins
    18 years ago

I have found tons of profanity in poems, I dont know if its just me but I find that a poem shouldnt have profanity. To me it doesnt make the poem all that good. In my opinion I think we should try and express feeling in a better way then putting profanity in a poem. Anyone agree?

(To those who use profanity in poems, I am not ragging on you. Just stating an opinion.)

• katie!
    18 years ago

I agree in a way... It depends what you are writing.. I have some poems with profanity as they are generally angry where I let my feelings out

• Tarikins
    18 years ago

Well in some cases its okay, but I was thinking more around the lines of just throwing it in because it was the only thing they could think of. Most of the time it destroyes the work of a sometimes good poem.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

The explicit category is my home, so I dont see a problem with poignant profanity in poetry.

It can prove point because of its intensity.

You have to use it appropriately.

• Tarikins
    18 years ago

JPM: I meant...used as just filling in a space. I know they use profanity. But atleast it fits.

• Eibutsina
    18 years ago

Depends on the poem, the author and the reader's individual tastes...to say its inappropriate shows your lack of knowledge about poetry in general

• Tarikins
    18 years ago

That is true JPM. But I wasn't including poetry that is off of this site. I KNOW that they use profanity but they use it in a way that fits. I was talking about how some poets have turned to it as a space filler. Period. I just thought that was wrong, and there is nothing wrong with stating an opinion.

• Tarikins
    18 years ago

In most case it isnt bad. Like I said before, poets have turned to profanity for a space filler and I was wondering who has noticed this as well. I am not offended with it at all, I am not religious so I could care less if you cuss its just the manner you use it....in otherwords a space filler.

• Tarikins
    18 years ago

Its innappropriate in some cases...in most cases it can be appropriate. But to use it because you couldnt think of anything else? Not only does it not fit, but it ruins a poem which could in most cases be a wonderful poem if the author had put just an ounce more thought into it. I was not saying that profanity in poems is completely wrong, if thats how I came across then I am sorry.

• Tarikins
    18 years ago

I guess I am the only one who has noticed this, but meh. Poets can write as they wish, but that will not stop me from stating an opinion.