Phantom of the Opera

• pinkalias
    19 years ago

I just got back from New York with my chorus and we were given the incredible privilege of seeing a broadway show, phantom of the opera

It was...phenomenal

I realize this is not poetry of which to discuss, technically, but I wanted to add this topic to a forum that related to the arts, and in my opinion musicals are very much a form of poetry

Anyway, I don't know if any of you have ever seen a broadway show but if you had I have no doubt you were left speechless. Not to mention that Phantom of the Opera is my all time favorite musical and storyline, I just think it's absolutly brilliant and consists of nothing but pure talent and skill.

Any musical lovers, do discuss

• pinkalias
    19 years ago

that was actually me and my friend's favorite song. The play that I saw starred Hugo...something as the phantom and Sandra (something) as christine. I don't think anyone has heard of them, but they did a fantastic job. The only thing I didn't like about the particular one that I watched was that the woman who played Catellita outshined Christine as far as vocal capacity.
    Christine was still indeed an incredible singer, but she didn't show the range that Catellita did, which wasn't right to me. Other than that it was jaw dropping.

I don't know if the costume is pretty much the same for every show, but if I find a link or something I would really like to show you all the phantom's costume during the scene "masquerade" it was horribly awesome. No other way to put it.

• pinkalias
    19 years ago

Are you sure? as I recall there was a black and white film version

But yes the special effects were, just, stunning.
    In the play I saw, they had the boat pulled through during the song "through dreams he came to me..." and they poured the whole stage over with dry ice and I don't know if they used magnets or what but somehow the boat just floated through, it was incredible. Then when the organ hit the most powerful notes hundreds of candles rose from beneath the stage, as if out of the "river" I have no effing idea how they did it.

• pinkalias
    19 years ago

alright, calm down

and yes there was a black and white version made I am beyond positive of that, perhaps it was made in that setting for the sake of appearing older but it was definetly made.
    "It was a play/opera LONG before it ever hit the motion pictures / television."

...no shit. really? i had no idea
    in case you couldn't tell I was being incredibly sarcastic.

anyway, to anyone else out there I heard the original version's storyline consisted of an almost complete different plot. The phantom ended up being Christine's father whom was thought to be dead but had actually been mutulated in a fire.

I honestly think it's a complete myth, and a stupid one at that. It ruins the whole concept and meaning of the play and I personally think whoever thought it up was severly confused, but I haven't studied the background of the play at all so if anyone out there has tangible proof that this is true, do tell.

• pinkalias
    19 years ago

JPM

I know the story, thoroughly and detailed, though thank you for explaining it so well

You misinterpreted what I said. I heard a myth that the original playwright consisted of the phantom being christine's father, but the public didn't respond as well to this idea as to that of a love story.
    When you think about it though he being the father would also make sense as far as the spirit of the Opera goes. He is the angel of music himself, thus his daughter carries on the gift and they are connected by blood to the opera within itself (just an interpretation)

But yes, I am pretty sure it was just a myth but I will research it myself.

• ~*Snow queen~*
    19 years ago

i love phantom of the opera! i went to see it last may in chicago and i loved it. ive always liked it but that was the first time i had actually seen it. i cant wait to see the movie
    Emily

• Joy
    18 years ago

I have yet to see the actual production, but we're singing a medley of the songs in my choir class at school. The music is phenomenal. I am a big music freak, being a singer and all, and let me tell you that The Phantom of the Opera has some of the best music ever. Not to mention the lyrics. Theres this one line that really gets me into tears each time we sing it..."Imagine me, trying too hard to put you from my mind." So many people at school are just singing the words...but they're not FEELING the words...I can feel this. The singer is saying...after everything we've been through, I can't get you off my mind, now you're gone, and I have to. It's a great storyline also...I'm really eager to go and see it one day!!

.:jOy:.

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

Yes, Joy I know what you mean. I call myself a music "appreciator" for I am obsessed with it. I don't know what our world would be like without it.

I hope you get a chance to see the musical live, for even though I haven't seen the film (though i own the soundtrack so I do indeed know the amazing talent the actress that played Christine possesses) It's far more impressive and mesmerizing to see the special effects and pure talent in a live and full blown atmosphere

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

I LOVE the phantom of the Opera! the music is awesome! i feel so sorry for the Phantom though, i really wish that Christine chose him, but i can see why she didn't in ways. but the Phantom is awesome. great play and wonderful music. i have only seen the new verson of the movie, and that was only once. but i'm going to buy it when it comes out.

~PLP~ lil slam~

• Nicholle
    18 years ago

I always wanted to watch it.