Problem with Readers

• ASPHYXIATED
    19 years ago

yea when ever i read a poem i read over i a good few times.....but some poems you can get after the 1st or second read....x)

• Dorotea©
    19 years ago

Yes, I know what you mean. It might be because a lot of the people on sites like this write what they'd call "poetry," though it's actually only a jumble of words that have no connection to each other except that they rhyme. They don't write what I would call "real poetry;" something beautiful and unique. Now I'm definitly not saying that everything I write could be called "real poetry," though yes it is better than some.

I think people need inspiration to write better poetry and they need to look around and realize there are so many unique things to write about. That way, people would write original poetry, and I, for one, when reading original poetry I don't get bored and just read it once. When the poem is very good, I can read it 5 times! And of course when you read it that many times you find the real inner or deep meaning within the poem, not just the one you at first find in it. So many poems mean a lot more than you'd think.

I think the problem is that many readers are too lazy to read the poem more than once. Actually, some don't even read the poem, they just comment something like this : VeRy GOod poEM I luV iT!! ** KEep ThoSe pOemsSssSS coMiNG!!* 5/5, I luV It soOOooOOoo muCh!! In my opinion, thsoe comments are really annoying, and when the reader puts a comment like that I seriously wonder if they ever actually read the poem or if they just want me to comment back on their poem.

Just some ideas, I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Satuxxa

• Eibutsina
    18 years ago

T'was indeed Bob...wow!

I think we as writers have to realise that just as we write for different reasons and with different intentions, people read and interpret for different reasons and with different intentions.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

Great, Mr. Shank.

Anyway, what I LOVE (because it makes me laugh so hard I fall off my chair) is when lesser evolved writers than myself make comments on my poems about stuff that doesnt make sense to them, that was completely intentional on my part and proves an integral point in the poem, that they just werent perceptive enough to pick up on. Especially when they start pointing out tense issues or things like that... it's like... hello dumb ass, anyone in there?

But hey, it makes me smile :)

Example from my poem "Self Inflicted," which JPM and Bob have both read and dissected. This was a comment made on it:

"An interesting approach but one single line put me off.

"Alas, it’s perfect. Yet I walk away."

The image of 'Alas' and 'Yet' don't go along together. As you say 'Alas!', you convey your disappointment and it's a reason enough to walk away. An irnoic 'Yet' is not necessary here and according to me 'AND' would serve the purpose better. Yet, if you wish to retain the 'yet', it's more advisable to remove the 'Alas' and start off with 'It's'. Think about the line slowly and the paradoxical irony would sink in.

Another factor that left me a tad confused was the voice you used. Are you referring to the statue in first person or third? Initially you are reffering to it in third person as 'IT' and yet towards the end, you are talking to it/him directly in the first person."

The whole poem is ABOUT the "irony of it all," and the point of switching the statue from a statue to the person is the most poignant thing in the poem. It's funny, because she didnt miss either of those things, just simply didnt think enough about it to connect the dots. You can also tell that this person is trying to give almost a clinical and professional literary opinion and completely misses the mark. JPM and Bob, you guys got it, right? haha, of course you did. You guys are brilliant ;)

The other thing I hate is when people OBVIOUSLY have no idea what the poem is about and they write "Great, I loved it, deep." I just imagine the crickets chirping amongst the silence in their minds... ah well. It's the world today.

• Eibutsina
    18 years ago

Whoa Kait you sure do your research sweety! I agree with you and Bob and Mr Plain are great fr honest critique

• Eibutsina
    18 years ago

Whoa Kait you sure do your research sweety! I agree with you and Bob and Mr Plain are great for honest critique

• LostHopesCrimsonTears
    18 years ago

well to me it all depends on tha poem, some poems are very straght forward, others, not so much. for example, i have a poem (song) that most people take to be about vampires, but in reality, its about keepin secrets. but anywho.... about tha whole comments thing, i kinda leave comments like that, i sometime add lil comments like ' i kno how u feel' or ' hang in there' but i pretty much just say 'great poem, keep up tha good work' and its not cause i didnt read tha poem, its just cause i cant realy critique. i dont realy wanna tell people they should change thier work or style or whatever. so anywho.....

*~peace and love~*