Just a Question...

• N J Thornton
    18 years ago

This is to anyone who has (or tried) to read my work.
    Do you think the fact most of my poems are so hard to understand is a bad thing?
    I get lots of feedback that is along the lines of "I liked your work, but I couldn't really understand it" and some people request a sort of explanation to the meaning, or feel they need to check with me that they understand it. Other people comment and say they enjoyed the poem, but as far as I can remember, do not say that they knew what it meant.
    Now am I thinking something completely off the point here, or does the fact that my writings are not “easy” to understand make them pointless etc.
    One last thing you should know. When I write I don’t like to give everything away, and I kind of like to think the poem writes itself. What I mean is that the poem can have a variety of meanings, and that to each individual reader the interpretation won’t be totally off the subject but slightly different. I personally feel this makes my writings deeper and I enjoy letting the reader fathom out my poetry for themselves. I believe it can also show how dedicated to poetry the reader is, depending on if they try to understand my poetry or not. Although, I must admit my tongue occasionally gets in the way of what I’m trying to say which evidently isn’t a very poetical thing to do. I guess I'm just wanting to know if it is my lack of poetical ability of getting across what I'm trying to say or that I'm expecting too much of the reader...Or maybe something else. Either way please let me know.
    Thanks for reading, take care,
    Silver

• N J Thornton
    18 years ago

Thank-you bob that has really made me feel better. I am happy to know yourself at least understand my words.
    Take care,
    Silver

• N J Thornton
    18 years ago

Thank you Nada. I can understand why you must be confused having English as a second language and then trying to read a poem with lots of confusing words can't be good. Thanks for the feedback on this.