New penalty system.

• Kevin
    18 years ago

Hey guys,

Janis has just posted a message in the mod forums informing us that there is a new system in place that the mods can use to report individual posts and apply a penalty. Too many penalty points and you will be banned.

Though i have been calling for something like this for a long time, i feel saddened it is needed at all. You all need to know about it however and Janis will be away for a week so i thought i'd pass it on...

Please don't the mods any reason to use it.

• Dorotea©
    18 years ago

How many is the "too many" penalty points?

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

I just got a penalty for saying "Wrong Forum"

• EoB
    18 years ago

??? oh...

• PnQ Mod Account
    18 years ago

natalie, I sent you a follow up email on that.
    That warning/penalty will be removed.

Yes, I see that you got it now. :)

To everyone: it's 2 points for a penalty on the forum, 3 points for a complained about comment that gets deleted with penalty. 10 points total will get your account suspended.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

What exactly constitues a reasonable penalty?

• Kevin
    18 years ago

I'd hazard a guess and say it's about the intent of the post, as opposed to it's content.

Foul language is not clever, though it can convey powerful emotions rather well...if someone were to swear, then i wouldn't give them a penalty...but if they swore at a person in an insulting way...then that would earn them a few points i think.

Aside from that, it'll have to be case by case i think. Telling someone to kill themselves gets a penalty. Joining the wolf pack should get you a penalty ; ) ...but i kinda like those goofy kids now.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

LMAO

• Kevin
    18 years ago

the jokes on you buddy...ha ha ha,

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

Kevin...I don't like you nor do I care what you say. Don't waste your energy.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

10-4 Kevbo.

• pinkalias
    18 years ago

I like it

what's the amount of points by the way? and is there a warning first?

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

Where do you look to find out if you have any points?

• Kevin
    18 years ago

I understand your concerns Chris. I just wonder what you think should be done about people being bullied, having rascist, sexist and just plain nasty things said to them? Are we to do nothing?

There is no censorship on the poetry, but this is no a discussion site, though you may be forgiven for thinking so. Hence the rules....if you only saw the endless complaints the mods get...you'd maybe understand...some of them are really awful.

• Renee
    18 years ago

I think if you guys looked at the 'forum home page' you would realize that there is a section for "poetry talk", and a section for "non-poetry talk."

just thought you should know.

• Renee
    18 years ago

srry, sometimes I just skim through long posts.

now that I read it, I see your point

• Renee
    18 years ago

lol...I guess thats what I was trying to say earlier, ya know. you poetry buffs stay in your poetry area and us random people can stay in our no-poetry area =)

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

I'm with Mr. Bob on this one.

Censorship wont get any of us anywhere. I think all the whiners on this site need to suck it up.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

OK. Then I'm with Chris Walker ;)

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

"Censorship wont get any of us anywhere. I think all the whiners on this site need to suck it up."

Thank you Kaitlin, Chris, and bob. Some intelligent opinions!

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

In my experience, intelligence speaks for itself. Pretty damn loudly too.

• Kevin
    18 years ago

Easy there Chris, tiger.

You are far off the mark in dumbfounding me, i have to work and not be on the computer sometimes you know? Don't take my 12 hour silence as anything other than that, you ain't that smart.

As it happens, you are the only person who has actually suggested a way, other than censorship that could actual deal with the problems we're facing as mods. I'll pass it on to the moderator forum, and maybe Janis will look at it in a few months.

Still though, in the mean time, not one of you has realistically addressed the issue of what to do about censorship right now. Bob, if everyone on this site where like you and I, then of course we wouldn't need any mods....well maybe to stop to much interbreeding [can you imagine chicks as cool as we?]

fact of the matter is, and this may be a hard pill for some of you folks to swallow..some people need to be censored, and some people need protection from words of those who need to be censored. Now i know this opens up a whole debate about whats right and wrong concerning censorship, and who decides, especially with writing. But like i said, i don't censor poems, nor would i ever. But messages are different, that is obvious.

Once again i say, this is not a discussion website, hence the censorship, go to such a site if you want complete free speech, here, it's about poetry, or it's meant to be. So quit complaining about the censorship of offensive people who should know better.

Ps...Some of you have gotten the opinion that i'm saying all this because I get offended by you guys, just so you know that ain't true....i'm trying to argue this point for other people i see asking for help to the mods.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

Kevin: Do you or do you not agree that 85% of all the people who get bashed directly or indirectly ask for it, and that the bashings are easily avoidable with a few brain cells? People know when they are getting themselves into trouble in that regard. People know when they're picking fights, and often have more than one chance to back down before their egos and brains get ripped to shreds.

Over and over again I see people ask for it, indirectly or directly, egg the person on, get schooled, and THEN whine about it. Something makes me wonder, if they didnt get schooled, would they have cared?

In the real world, there is no censorship. This isnt a care bears movie, why pretend like it is? These kids are swearing, having sex, cutting themselves, talking about depression, and can't handle a few casual insults?

Although the humanitarian side of me agrees with you, some need protection, 95% of the people on this site would do well to be schooled, and could learn something from it. I have stepped in to many altercations between two people and aided in stopping it or turning the tables around because I felt things got out of hand and people needed to "pick on" others their own size, but most of the time they are better left alone to sort it out like the adults that all the 12 year olds on this site would like to think that they are.

And I am SO just as cool as you, Mr. Bob, and all the other guys on this site! ;)

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Kev and the mods have it hard enough without all this extra weight. Moderation is not an easy thing and our Elves do a grand job. Hopefully this new system will remove the likes of people who bitch for the sake of bitching and not debating for the point of self improvement.

On the forum I moderate when I'm dealing with the bad guys I'm often called Stalin. No half measures from me there. If you bugger up on my forum you'll know all about it real quick. It should be the same here. You guys don't realise how easy you done got it. *grins* More power to you Kev.

And it's not censorship, it's common sense.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Chris, Kev was calling our Tiger, Tiger, not you fella. Here, have a beer *chuckles*

• Kevin
    18 years ago

J harrison...have you been drinking with Plain?

I was calling Chris, Tiger...he was roaring at me.

Kaitlin....i kinda miss just being a dude on this site who could flirt with you and rant at people....heavy is the head that shares the crown... : ) I rarely have time to comment on people poems anymore!...boooo!

• Ashleigh Skye
    18 years ago

um... ok? but if they do decide to put this into effect then how do you know if you've gotten a penality?

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

heh, we done got two tigers.

But Chris, you ain't toight like a toiger just yet *chuckles*