Capital Punishment: Part 1

• Brookeღ
    18 years ago

No, I think they should keep the death penalty! We are spending millions daily if not more to keep these prisoners alive. The majority on death row are repeat offenders that really in my opinion don't deserve to breath the same air as we do. I know some will argue that they should spend the rest of their life locked in a cell to ponder what they have done. Personally I think they don't have remorse and should be put to death if that was the ordered punishment.

• Mel
    18 years ago

We need it back in Britain. If DNA suggests they're guilty of, say, murder or rape; let them have it - in public view.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

Could you imagine living each and every day knowing you'll never get out of jail? I can't but I can guess it's HORRIBLE. I'd rather someone have to live the rest of their life in prison than have them die. If we kill them then we are just as bad. So yes, I think it should be abolished.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

"when seeing whether these prisoners, should or should not die"

Who are we to make such a decision? They committed a crime and they should be punished but we should NOT have to power to decide their death.

• Brookeღ
    18 years ago

There are many different ways we can look at this. Example lets say the prisoner murdered and raped one of your family members. Would you want to go to work everyday knowing you are working to keep him/her alive? Yes, life on death row would be horrible but the suffering of the innocent would be just as bad if not worse. We have remorse where a lot of these prisoners don't. I still believe an eye for an eye. If that is the judgement ordered.
    Bob great point there have been innocent people put to death you bring up a very good argument. Makes me think more in depth.

• Brookeღ
    18 years ago

If they were in jail they would spend the rest of their eternity, guilty filled with remorse, and tortured constantly by the victims they killed.

That's where I think we disagree they don't feel guilt or remorse. I think waiting day after day knowing they are going to die is a great punishment because they care only about themselves. The other point I was making is that we are paying to keep them alive.
    As for what Bob said I have thought more about it and I don't really think we have the right to decide who lives and who dies. Like he stated they have put to death many innocent people.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

Yes....they should rot in jail forever.

• Brookeღ
    18 years ago

Everyone has made good arguments. I think after reading some of the post it makes you think a lot harder about the situation.
    We have a prison in the town I live and I have friends who work there. We just had 2 try to escape death row so they are being moved to a different prison. The prision allowed them to have a short time out of their cells. They were put in a caged area that was of course much larger. The prison they will be moved to will not allow them this privilege.
    No I haven't seen OZ I wouldn't mind checking it out. I still disagree with you when it comes to remorse. Some people no matter what the circumstance just aren't capable it requires a conscious that they don't have.
    Good post by the way!

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

I will have to agree with Brooke on people with remorse and regretting what they did. My brother's friend is now in jail for beating and nearly killing an old man. Also for taking a minor out of state and a few other things. He swears when he gets out he’s going back for life. He was in jail before he went in this last time, he got out for 2 weeks and went back for 12 years. Some people just don’t care.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

I think it should be re-introduced (in the UK) for the very simple fact that it prevents re-offending.

I also think it should be broadened to include rapists and paedophiles.

It will also reduce the cost of keeping crime off of the streets. The Chinese had a most effective system in which someone found guilty were executed the same day, dragged into the street and shot in the back of the head, costing less than a pound ($1.87) to commute. Think of the millions it would save that could be spent on better healthcare, education and policing, whilst acting as a true deterrent to serious crime.

Some people are beyond redemption and I would rather spend money saving decent lives than £100,000 a week looking after the likes of Huntley or Bronson.