Some Evergreen Cliches

• Sean
    18 years ago

I use cliches within my writing, but i do hope i present them in such a way that it feels fresh and new to the reader, describing my lover as a rose...has been done so many times, and despite a hatred for my work i can accept it's done in such a aproach that it feels original.

I hate to say, Chris....but i disagree with you and the above poster.

Cliche's are to be avoided, but use a Cliche and make it new and fresh to the readers eyes and you have achieved something not many can. (A skill i know you are more than capable of if you tried)

The problem is not the cliche, it's reliance on them for alot of these childrens 'poetry', and the fact it's repeated a few million times because they are unable to think on there own feet.

Examples of cliches i've used:

"Our eyes,
    Interlocked in gaze,
    My body shivering soaked to the bone.
    The thoughts, which scream in my head,
    Under me, lays an angel."

(Angel cliche)

"Hello empty space of my room,
    If you'd care to listen..
    I met a rose today,
    delicate in shape and tender in beauty,
    glinting of red, ginger, blond streaked petals."

(Rose cliche)

"Yesterday,
    I witnessed the burden
    Of tears of an angel,
    Falling softly, one by one."

(Angel cliche again in a seperate poem)

It's hard to avoid them, but the key is to use them and make them seem powerful again, a skill i feel i am yet to master, though if i am to believe others, i have to some degree.

• Sean
    18 years ago

I understand what you mean now, though i'd have thought cliche and theme are a very similar object...but as you had said, it's a fine line to walk.