Animal Rights???

• Rolo
    18 years ago

I wrote a five page report on this subject not too long ago. There are many different reasons/opinions as to why it should be stopped, and why it should continue. My belief is that it should stop. My reasoning for this is because of the cruelty and inaccuracy of a lot of tests. In a lot of cases, tests that are found to be inaccurate or irrelevant to humans are still continued. I've found no answers as to why this is. Animals are close to the human species, yes, but in many cases not close enough. The needless suffering of helpless animals is a crime of morals, but unfortunately it remains legal in many states. Not all tests involve cruelty, however I don't believe such testing as makeup and hair products is required. It is just unnecessary and wrong to the animals that should have freedom. Now there have been many debates as to why animals shouldn't have rights, one being that they haven't the power to object. For this reason, I believe it is up to us humans to say enough is enough and draw the line. I also must admit that a lot of tests involve little or no pain, but how useful have they been? The FDA, among other companies require many products to be tested. While researching I've seen some of the most cruel and horrid tests. I've also seen the pain of these animals. Some tests provide us with medicine and cures, but as I said before...where do we draw the line between curing a sickness or killing off this life? I could write more...but I'm already rambling, those are just my thoughts and opinions.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Unless humans (volunteers or convicted criminals.. both are good for me) step up and take the hot seat animal testing is the only way we'll know if things are safe for us.

So you can run the gauntlet and risk having your skin fall off twenty years down the line or you can go with animal testing.

I love animals, but it's the lesser of two evils so it gets my vote.

• John Burbank
    18 years ago

OF COURCE, animal testing is wrong and u thought ful, how would u feel being tested on with things that could kill u

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

That's the whole point. They test on animals so that things sold in shops don't kill people.

Would you rather run the gauntlet of using an untested prduct or buy one that you know won't make your bones crumble?

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Why is it harsh? I love steak, chicken, lamb chops and when I go shooting I'll eat what I kill (and sell what I can't eat to a farmer/butcher so nothing is wasted).

We kill everything so that we might live. Vegans kill plants so they can keep doing the breathey in and out thing. Even if you lived off of mildew you're killing mildew.

It's called a food chain for a reason, be thankful you're near the top of it.

The premise of animal testing is no different. If you hate animal testing so much put yourself forward for the next batch of eye drops.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

good stuff ;)

• Lipton
    18 years ago

I agree with Bret in this situation.

Yes, I love animals.
    Yes, I love to EAT animals.
    And yes, I value a human's life over an animal's.
    But I don't hate animals.

The whole point of this is this: whose life do we, as humans, value more? Another human's, or an animal's?

~Ciao Lipton

• Renee
    18 years ago

LOL

• natalie
    18 years ago

Animals aren't privelaged with having a soul thats something only humans have. I believe that if testing on animals helps in medical advances to cure people of dieseases etc then it is ok, but as for using them for cosmetics and stuff that are un necessary then that is bad

• Kevin
    18 years ago

I'm all for animals being bred for medical tests, but not taken from the wild....and certainly not used for any kind of cosmetic testing.

But yeah, an interesting point of view converning the moral of animals testing for medical purposes is that a lion or tiger would "use" me as a way to keep itself alive longer if it got the opportunity and was hungry enough...and so why can't humans do the same?...we are merely using the means at our disposal, combined with all our understanding and skill to stay alive longer....most everything in nature does this to the best of their ability, usually at the cost of the life of another living thing.

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

yes they should.

• Renee
    18 years ago

JPM, why did you change your post? It was funny as fuck

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Stand up and put yourself on the list for human testing then Melissa.

Actions speak louder than words.

• Jaime
    18 years ago

Animals aren't the ones that need the testing, it's us. So why should they have to suffer? I'm not saying I would personally want to get tested, but it's not like they do either.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

The reason testing will be wholely inneffective on cadavers is that we, the people who use products, are not dead. Living tissue reacts very differently to dead tissue and the results would be vastly different in some cases.

Dead tissue does not get irritated, does not suffer the same kind of allergic reaction nor can it be killed (it is already dead afterall) by new products.

So, the choice remains... people or animals.

• Jaime
    18 years ago

People or animals.
    Testing would help people. Not animals. People are the ones doing the testing. Not animals. When it comes down to it, animals don't need it, or want it. Can you imagine being raised in an environment where your only purpose in life is to serve the top of the food chain? That isn't much of a life, they deserve better.

• Jaime
    18 years ago

Okay, but how many animals do you know of that wear makeup?

• ~*Ley*~
    18 years ago

A little off topic...or more branching off this topic...They are talking about testing...fetuses that were aborted. To help save people with cancer I think...And part of me thinks...well...how do i explain...by allowing animals to be tested on are we saying its okay to move on and test babies as well...a lot can argue "well they're already dead" but then...how many woman will think "oh i can get pregnant, abort, and sell it for money" you may want to believe that the world is not like this and people will never think such a thing but they do...o.O I'm just wondering what you think on the subject...particularily I'm interested in ismal's opinion. seeing as he usually has the most thought out opinions
    ~*Freak*~

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Stem cell research can only be a good thing in my view. It should be explored on a much wider basis as there is so much it can do for us as a species.

On the down side it only took one stuck up woman MP in the UK to ban the idea on the premise that it made her squeamish.

On the plus side we can take comfort from the knowledge that stupid American teenagers are actually contributing something to society.

• ~*Ley*~
    18 years ago

You missed my point..stupid american teenagers might decide its a great idea to get knocked up and cell the fetus...what do you think of that?
    ~*Freak*~

• *tanya*
    18 years ago

"The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? But rather, Can they suffer?"
    --Jeremy Bentham, 19th century Philosopher, Oxford University

Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally OK to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction.
    --Professor Charles R.Magel (1920- )

Results from animal tests are not transferable between species, and therefore cannot guarantee product safety for humans...In reality these tests do not provide protection for consumers from unsafe products, but rather they are used to protect corporations from legal liability.
    --Herbert Gundersheimer, M.D., member, PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine), Baltimore, Maryland, 1988

I have heaps more but that will do for now. I rest my case...

• natalie
    18 years ago

so have no medical advances happened because of testing on animals?

regarding the testing of foetus'- i think that is wrong in so many ways. i think abortion in itself is wrong, but that is not the topic here. testing on dead babies? i cant see anyone who has seen their baby alive saying they want it tested on. plus breeding babies to kill them and experiment on them is an absolutely horrendous thing to do.

• ~*Ley*~
    18 years ago

"but that is not the topic here." yep I know it isn't I've already said that it wasn't. I just want to know peoples opinions.
    ~*Freak*~

• natalie
    18 years ago

i was saying abortion wasnt the topic here, not testing on foetuses

• ~*Ley*~
    18 years ago

AH gotcha. Cool
    ~*Freak*~

• natalie
    18 years ago

:D

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

"You missed my point..stupid american teenagers might decide its a great idea to get knocked up and cell the fetus...what do you think of that?
    ~*Freak*~"

Nothing other than it confirming my preconception* of stupid American teenagers.

*Pun heavily intended.

• ~*Ley*~
    18 years ago

o.O Alright then
    ~*Freak*~

• ~*Ley*~
    18 years ago

o.O A beloved dog is a bit less than a beloved mother or father or brother or sister...But...If the person wished to be tested for I'm all for it. Why not?
    ~*Freak*~