Tangible vs. Intangible

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

Tangible vs intangible, abstract vs physical. Mainly there are two ways to describe things, either with very physical things or with more abstract things. OR just writing about abstract ideas, like love and freedom etc. I personally try to turn everything I write into some kind of physical material. Even if I am writing about an abstract idea. I think that using the stars, or the moon, etc. to describe things is weaker to the average person. People can't feel these things, they can feel the effects of them, but not the actual things. I can see stars, study them, but I can't touch, taste or smell. I would rather describe something with dirt or a rock and a plant: things the everyday person can relate to. This is just the way I prefer to write. Wondering what everybody else prefers.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

"Tangibility and Intangibility have nothing to do with a poem" What are you talking about. They sure as hell do. If poets speak of things that are physical, then they are speaking of tangible objects. If they are speaking of freedom as the idea, then it is intangible. Tangible and intangible have a lot to do with poetry. One reason we read certain people's writing more than others is because they use physical objects in their stories to express ideas such as freedom, love, depression, etc (intangible things). I know certain poets who preferred not talking about things like the stars. One of them is Charles Bukowski.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

There are tangible and intangible, abstract and physical. ideas that can't ever truly to be touched, such as freedom, love, hate--these are abstracts, or intangible ideas. Rocks, dirt, grass, people--these are tangible or solid things (physical). And people use both to describe things in their writing, and i want to know who uses what and why?

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

Maybe this will help explain what I mean. When looking at a plant you can say ohh, that plant has a pretty yellow flower. Just because you can see the yellow color on the flower doesn't make colors a physical thing. The fact that the flower is yellow is an idea. Can you touch teh flower and say I am touching the yellow. You can, and then all the people around you will look at you and call you a moron. If you put the flower in your mouth are you eating the yellow, no you are still eating and tasting the flower. You aren't eating or tasting the yellow, yet the yellow can still be seen.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

abstract and tangible are related, I dont disagree with you there. But to say that tangible and intangible have nothing to do with writing is like saying they have nothing to do with life, since writing comes from life experiences. And we all know that intangibles and tangibles and abstracts and physicals, whatever the hell you want to call it, have to do with life.

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

Uuuh.....okay i think i understand the both of you......"think" being a key word lol......

Peaces.

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

Tangible ---
    a. Discernible by the touch; palpable: a tangible roughness of the skin.
    b. Possible to touch.
    c. Possible to be treated as fact; real or concrete: tangible evidence.

From dictionary.com

Intangible --

1. Incapable of being perceived by the senses.
    2. Incapable of being realized or defined.
    3. Incorporeal.

n.

1. Something intangible, especially an asset that cannot be perceived by the senses. Often used in the plural: intangibles such as goodwill and dedication.
    From dictionary.com

Abstract ---

1. Considered apart from concrete existence: an abstract concept.
    2. Not applied or practical; theoretical. See Synonyms at theoretical.
    3. Difficult to understand; abstruse: abstract philosophical problems.
    4. Thought of or stated without reference to a specific instance: abstract words like truth and justice.
    5. Impersonal, as in attitude or views.
    Agian from dictionary.com

Physical---
    a. Of or relating to the body as distinguished from the mind or spirit. See Synonyms at bodily.
    b. Involving or characterized by vigorous bodily activity: a physical dance performance.
    c. Slang. Involving or characterized by violence: “A real cop would get physical” (TV Guide).

2. Of or relating to material things: our physical environment.
    3. Of or relating to matter and energy or the sciences dealing with them, especially physics.
    Also from dictionary.com

Now that we are clear on the definitions, who uses what to describe things in their poetry. DO people on here talk more abstractly, tangibly, intangibly, physically, etc. I would like to know

• Cory Mastrandrea
    18 years ago

okay thankyou, thats all i wished to know. As I said before i prefer to write about abstract ideas, however I write about them using physical things. If you would like to I will share one of my poems that tends to do this better. I wasn't going to put it on this site, but If you want to see i will

• Tammy
    18 years ago

Cory
    Give it up...you'll never get through to him. Ismail seems to like to argue.
    Take care!

• Lydie
    18 years ago

Abstract ideas and writing, but when it comes to comparing and describing stuff it's physical
    eg.)

As white as snow - Physical

yes.....

-Lyd