Wisdom

• Atomic
    18 years ago

All I can say is...never mistake intelligence for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.

( )_( )
    (='.'=)
    (")-(") Arrivederci!

• Emma
    18 years ago

umm...
    i think wisdom is gained from life.
    with the second question i would have to say no. because you get intelligence from a book and your surrondings. you have to fail and keep trying for wisdom.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

Intelligence and wisdom are two very different things.

Not all of us are as lucky as Bob Shank, with an endless supply of both :).

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

Ahh Bob. You just warmed my little heart.

I've been in a state of flux, moving out of my fathers house and trying to find somewhere to live, I settled on moving in with my sisters friend and got a full time job at a bakery (mmmm, free cookies make for a happy girl ;). I havent had consistant computer access, that's why I've been gone. I missed P&Q though. I need to start writing again, damnit. Glad to see you're a mod, by the way, that was the best decision Janis has made in a long time, no offense implied to him.

• Kevin
    18 years ago

Yeah good to have you back Kaitlin. Ever thought of being a mod yourself?

As for wisdom, i do not believe it comes naturally with age, though certainly that is usually how it works as we make more and more mistakes and occasionally learn from them in a way that means we can fearfully warn people not to mess up as we have, i think this is weakest form of wisdom.

I've seen children with little or no comparative life experience display astounding wisdom wqhen presented with complex issues that have the adults confused. No i think real wisdom is the ability to see past the base circumstances of a situation and contemplate the outcomes, reactions and possible solutions to any problem without having to go through it yourself.

You just know or feel the truth, and you can see it in others, mostly when they don't even know it themselves. That is wise to me.

• Dark Savior
    18 years ago

Wisdom to me is knowing yourself..because you can't truely know anything else until you know yourself

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

I wouldnt feel right about breaking the forum rules if I were a mod, and sometimes I find it totally necessary to do so, so I find I would be setting a bad example for the children of P&Q by requesting to become one. Plus, I dont spend enough time on the site anymore. When I used to be on all the time it would have been more fesible, but now it just wouldnt work. You guys have it handled. The forums are looking beautiful.

The cookies are on their way :). I hope to have some new writing within the week, too. I think I'll cruise by your poems for some much needed inspiration.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Wisdom is learnt and rarely innate.

Intelligence is innate and rarely learnt.

• Jemma
    18 years ago

I think inteelligence really help someone gain wisdom but i do think wisdom is different. You could be the cleverest person alive and not be wise. Wisom comes through learning though your mistakes and understanding how things happen and i suppose see the pattern in what people do etc.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

I personally think that Ismail is reaching too far into the philosophers corner on that one.

How do you define it, Mr. Bob?

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Being wise is having the common sense to do things in the most simplistic manner.

That's one approach or view of wisdom.

Sound judgement in times of confusion is also another depiction of wisdom.

It is everything and nothing, wisdom. Lots of things and just one thing.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

I would disagree that intelligence is learned. Your IQ is not something that can be increased massively over time through reading books. You are born with a capacity for brightness which is only affected by up tp five or six IQ points through education.

If intelligence is the way we calculate things, wisdom is what allows us to use it properly.

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

Autism is explained fully by the phrase you just quoted me on. But I can compare Autism to a computer.

The processor (brain) is running at full power, but the programs (how the brain perceives, understands and copes) are corrupted.

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

i think that the amount of maturity would effect Wisdom and Intellagence too. How mature a person is and the desire the person has. because obiously people have different levels of both but i think that those different levels can be caused by level of maturity. For intellagence, some people can't help it if they struggle in school, some people can but just don't try to do better (which always bugs me), and some people put in the effort just to pass and some put in all efforts to do thier best. I do my best at all times because i may need that later on inlife to become sucessful. i agree with those that say that wisdom comes from experiance or understandment of things in life. some people who aren't very intellagent can be very wise within thier actions.

~PLP~ lil slam~ just my opinion

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

(Love the spelling of "intellagence" in that one ;)

• Bret Higgins
    18 years ago

wisdom and maturity go hand in hand. You CANNOT have one without some aspect of the other.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

It depends on what type of intelligence you're talking about.