Proper Grammar

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

Angelina,

Good advice, I think you should also post it on the page we have for tips and techniques as it will be of benefit to many aspiring writers.

The problem with threads is that they tend to get lost in time with new ones being posted.

Steve :D

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

Angelina,

I meant the articles page on this site.

BTW, your latest poem is awesome!

*munch, munch, having his lunch*

Steve =D

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

*Scratch, scratching his head* I don't know if we can, may be Gremlin Bob could advise if it is possible or not?

BTW Bob, Ve dig yas grammar!

Steve ^o^

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

Yeh, i digs da grandma, tis sis glemlim grandma.
    Ont U cee?

Ok back tu za zrinding zone fur mee!

C yas!

Steve :D

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

LMAO

Nice thread about our pet peeve, Angelina...hahaaha

Maybe someone will actually take the time to read your advice...even though...i didn't. O.O LMAO I'll read when i come home this afternoon, though. I'll have time then. ^_^

//Ari\\

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

i read the advice angelina, it's really good and more people should read this but i have a feeling people tend to read over these kind of things.

the only word that bugs me is Their, because the i before e except after c rule... do you see a c in that word? i don't but e is still before i, now does that bug anyone else or am i the only one?

~Jacklyn

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

That bothers me, too, Jacklyn, even though i think i even use it lol. :P I'm such a hypocrite!

//Ari\\

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

well ya i still use the word just everytime i write it or type it i think of the i before e rule, everytime. but yes i still use the word, not that i'm against breaking rules and rebels ;)

~Jacklyn

• †JustAri†
    18 years ago

LOL :P

//Ari\\

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

Their is the new bad word, breaking all the rules. there's always one in the crowd.

~Jacklyn

• Atomic
    18 years ago

What also irk me is the common mistake of using...

two
    too
    to
    of
    off

God! How difficult is that?!

But then again, I also have problems with my singular and my plurals.

( )_( )
    (='.'=)
    (")-(") Arrivederci!

• Atomic
    18 years ago

Dude.....*drunken slur* I love you man!

( )_( )
    (='.'=)
    (")-(") Arrivederci!

• Atomic
    18 years ago

I was talking to JPM, but seeing that Shiky will hunt me down for my big head...

I was talking to you.

"Sorry baby, pimps don't fall in love" I want a tee-shirt that say this!

( )_( )
    (='.'=)
    (")-(") Arrivederci!

• Atomic
    18 years ago

I am so glad she's on another of her head hunting sprees. *sighs with relief*

( )_( )
    (='.'=)
    (")-(") Arrivederci!

• Atomic
    18 years ago

Of course you meant offense. They're idiots. It's about time they realize it. No offense.....ha.

( )_( )
    (='.'=)
    (")-(") Arrivederci!

• Lydia O
    18 years ago

Good Topic!! I was a bit baffled though, when I looked at the reference source and saw that the the grammar lesson came from an online magazine for horse owners. But I suppose you need to use proper grammar when you deal with your horse. ;-)

I just had occasion to refer to my old ESL manual for a usage clarification between most & almost. But I'm the kind of person who would agonize over something like that if I'm not certain.

Another common usage error is a mix-up over then & than.

• PnQ Mod Account
    18 years ago

did anyone answer your question about posting this in articles? I scanned for an answer from Bob, but didn't see one.

I am not totally sure. The "Letters to a Young Poet" by Rainer Marie Rilke (or whatever) was posted by Janis when he started the site. But then again, he is JANIS. He can do what he wants.

I will ask him in the Mod forum.

• PnQ Mod Account
    18 years ago

I posted a message... but I also noticed that when you go to "Articles" it does say, "Articles about writing written by members of this community".

What I would suggest is writing your own piece on some commonly misused words and you can use stuff from that article and others and then cite them as references.

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

In gremlin dialect:

taz fery gud, Uyse vill zet zor grandma zitssue roasted!