Intelligent Chat - Computers make us lazy

• brit
    18 years ago

i think that its good and its bad at the same time. the good is that you can easily find information or different topics that your intrested in and stuff of that nature...on the other hand...the internet can almost be considered an addiction... my boyfriend whom i live with is all into computers, hes not a geek or anything yet that has nothing to do with it. but he know everything about them. hes got a job that he has to work with computers and he does that about 10 hours a week and then comes home and gets on the home computer to down load or messenger and it takes time away from me. its almost like he wants to come home to get on his computer instead of spending time with me. we hardly go anywhere because the computer will be at home...its even gone so far that he bought a 50 buck thing to hook to our cell phone so that he'll be able to get internet access when we arent home....we actually use our computer for a tv...seriously, he bought a tv tuner so we watch tv on out flat screen computer...good and bad things as i said but i really think that its going a little bit too far and its taking away from our lives. sorry if i babbled on...

• Lydie
    18 years ago

What's with all the 'Intelligent chats' it's like WAAA?

-Lyd

• cal
    18 years ago

my family didn't have a computer till i was a late teenager, and i didn't even have a screen name till i was a freshman in college. personally i think this was a good thing. for school papers, i actually had to do my research at numerous libraries, using low and behold, card catalogs! for free time, i actually played in the woods or rode my bike or read hundreds of books. it was actually a treat when my dad would take my sister and i to the library so i could play 'oregon trail'. as for communication, i didn't have any sort of messenger to talk to my friends. if i wanted to talk, i'd send a letter in the mail, or call them--and if they lived in california, i had to save up to pay for the cost of the long distance phone call.

today i feel like computers are beneficial and destructive at the same time to society. because of email, i feel that kids handwriting has gotten worse, although perhaps their typing skills have improved. sending emails is definately faster and cheaper, but does not teach kids how to be patient when a reply doesn't come back for a week or two. as for information, i love the fact i can find articles i'd never have found in libraries, but i still think the whole research process has been lost due to how easy it is to look up everything on the internet. it even makes plagerizing easier.

and who knows how much worse kids vision will be looking at a computer screen everyday.

• cal
    18 years ago

haha i'd be my guess you have ocd. instead of picking on tiny details why don't you start paying attention to the big picture of what people are saying. and if you haven't noticed, my punctuation isn't always correct, and i don't capitalize the first letter of every sentence on purpose either.

• Jubal
    18 years ago

I'd have to say that TV and computer expecially are making teens more lazy by the day. Personally, I'd have to say that there is no reason I should be posting at 11:45 P.M. Nor is there reason that I should even be up, but the thing is, I've been sitting here for hours being lazy as lazy could be. I guess I still work out and play sports, but my little brother (well, he isn't little, he's friggen huge) just sits here and has his butt grow to the size of the chair. He's in 7th grade and he's got the same waste size as me (I'm a Junior in high school (and not a small one either 6'2" 195 lbs.)) One day, you'll have the lucky people that are too poor for technology, and you'll have fat people, that's it. 2 classes :P

• Michelle
    18 years ago

I think it`s good in the sense that you can get a lot of good jobs using computers, and they`ll at least know how to use them. Hopefully they`ll bother learning to type as well. We also use computers a lot in school and have limited time on them, so being able to type properly and relatively fast would be helpful to most students.

But it`s really addicting for some people, so they`ll sit there all day and stare at the screen. I know people who`ve sat and stared at it waiting for someone to IM them. They`d just sit there doing nothing besides maybe playing Solitaire, waiting. O__o

Then you bring food to the computer or in front of the T.V., and don`t realize how much you actually eat and get surrounded by dishes, and get fat. I don`t have that problem really, since for some reason I have trouble gaining weight. But both of my sisters and brother have become somewhat chubby from sitting in front of the T.V. and eating all the time.

Yeah, sorry, I kind of rambled on.