I've totally got the bird flu.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

I feel like crap.

I called in sick to work today and my boss hung up on me.

I think I may need to go looking for a new job soon :x.

Back to the point. I've totally got the bird flu.

How many of you guys have heard about what's going on with the Asian bird flu and how much of the panic is necessary, versus unnecessary fabrication to cause panic and fright?

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

i've heard about the Bird Flu but then again i don't know much about it and what's happening with it. but i remember watching a video in health last year about influenca (can't spell) and it's terrible that another strand of it is back and everything.

~Jacklyn

• muncheez
    18 years ago

what is it?? i heard about it going around a few days ago

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

this is an artical i found about it. maybe this can help you understand what it is.

What is bird flu (avian influenza)?
    • Avian influenza is an infectious disease of birds caused by type A strains of the influenza virus. The disease, first identified in Italy more than 100 years ago, occurs worldwide.
    • All birds are thought to be susceptible to the avian influenza, though some species, such as wild ducks, are more resistant than others. Domestic poultry, such as chickens or turkeys, are particularly susceptible.
    • Infection triggers a wide spectrum of symptoms in birds, ranging from mild illness to a highly contagious and rapidly fatal disease resulting in severe epidemics.
    • In severe cases, the flu is characterized by a sudden onset of severe illness, and rapid death, with a mortality that can approach 100 percent.
    Have humans come down with bird flu?
    • Avian influenza does not normally infect species other than birds and pigs. But humans came down with the bird flu in Hong Kong in 1997, when the H5N1 strain infecting 18 humans, 6 of whom died.
    • Then, people became infected after coming into close contact with live infected poultry.
    • Genetic studies showed the virus jumped directly from birds to humans, and caused severe illness with high mortality.
    • Hong Kong's entire poultry population, estimated at around 1.5 million birds, was destroyed within three days. This is thought to have averted a pandemic.
    • The World Health Organization has said the H5N1 bird flu virus is responsible for a number of deaths in Vietnam. They suspect people became ill after coming into contact with chicken feces.
    Why is H5N1 of particular concern?
    Of the 15 avian influenza virus subtypes, H5N1 is of particular concern because:
    • It mutates rapidly and seems to acquire genes from viruses infecting other animal species.
    • It can cause severe disease in humans.
    • Birds that survive infection excrete virus for at least 10 days, orally and in feces, helping spread the virus at live poultry markets and by migratory birds.
    • The more birds that come down with bird flu, the greater the opportunity for direct infection of humans.
    • The more humans get infected, the greater the likelihood people can become infected with both human and bird flu strains.
    • Humans could then serve as a "mixing vessel" for a new type of virus that could easily be transmitted from person to person. Such an event would mark the start of an influenza pandemic.
    What are the symptoms, can it be tested and how do you treat it?
    • When humans came down with H5N1 bird flu in Hong Kong in 1997, patients developed symptoms of fever, sore throat, cough and, in several of the fatal cases, severe respiratory distress secondary to viral pneumonia.
    • Previously healthy adults and children, and some with chronic medical conditions, were affected.
    • Tests for diagnosing all influenza strains of animals and humans are rapid and reliable.
    • Antiviral drugs, some of which can be used for both treatment and prevention, are clinically effective against influenza A virus strains in otherwise healthy adults and children, but have some limitations.
    • At least four months would be needed to produce a new vaccine, in significant quantities, capable of conferring protection against a new virus subtype.
    -- Compiled from a World Health Organization fact sheet.

from CNN.com

• Lydia O
    18 years ago

For the OP, it would be extremely unlikely that you have bird. flu. In recent years there have been less than 100 cases of humans afflicted with it. It can only be spread to humans by infected birds.

All the anxiety about bird flu is over what MIGHT happen if the virus mutates into a strain than can be spread human-to-human. That would be scary but so far that has not happened.

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

All joking aside, if you suspect you have some form of flu, you should seek medical help straight away.

Wear a face mask when venturing outside.

Here is some more information which may be of interest to all:

Influenza -
    Is an acute illness of the respiratory tract with symptoms showing up as fever, headache, muscle ache, running nose, cough and sore throat. this disease is self limiting and recovery is between 2-7 days.

The most common sub-types are A (H3N2), A (H1N1) and B. Most people will recover inside a period between 2-7 days and the body will produce antibodies to the virus. For the elderly and persons with chronic illnesses are most susceptible to develop complications like bronchitis and pneumonia.

Avian Influenza (H5N1)-
    The type H5N1 virus is also one type of influenza A. It was thought previously to infect and affect birds only. So far the transmission mode has been from bird to man and the transmission mode from man to man has be weak, but viruses can mutate very quickly and this is where the serious danger lies.

Avian Flu has similar clinical symptoms to other influenza types such as those outlined above. However it is more likely to result in extremely high fever, chest infections, respiratory failure, multi-organ failures and in extreme case even death. There is currently no proper vacine for the H5N1 strain.

Since late 2003, outbreaks of Avian flu have been found in poultry and wild birds and have been reported in Several Asian countries and now in Europe and some other western countries.

It is viewed that a pandemic outbrak of H5N1 will have even more serious overtones then SARS.

Simple points to observe in prevention-

* Droppings of birds and poultry may carry the H5N1 virus, so avoid at all costs touching any live birds and poultry or their droppings.

* If you have been in contact with live birds or poultry, immediately wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.

* Cook poultry and eggs thoroughly before eating.

* Wash hands thoroughly before touching eyes, nose, mouth or any part of your face.

* Another effective means against infuenza is having good body resistance. this can be achieved by having a good balanced diet, regular exercise, adequate rest, reducing stress, not smoking and proper viatmin C intake to boost up your immune system.

* Avoid crowded places with poor ventilation.

* If you develop a fever and other flu-like symptoms after returning from a country which has reported cases of H5N1, seek immediate mediacal attention and advise your medical practitioner of your travel history. Wear a face mask!

* Maintain good ventilation in your home.

* Heavy traffic areas such as entrances, porch areas and furniture should be cleaned down regularly with a water and bleach solution with the ratio of 1 part bleach to 99 parts water.

* Open drains, floor drains and sinks should be flushed out with water and bleach solutions with the ration of 1 part bleach to 50 parts water on regular basis. Ensure that any U-traps in plumbing systems also are filled with such solutions.

• Kaitlin Kristina
    18 years ago

haha, I'm totally smarter than my boss.

Also, I dont really have the birdflu. I would just like to think I'm that special.

• Steven Beesley
    18 years ago

Annelyse, We are not trying to panic but be cautious.

You have not been up close and personal with either H5N1 or SARS. I have, I live in a city that was the focal point of SARS/H5N1 and one of my friends caught SARS. So I can say I speak from experience where others cannot!

Prevention is always better. If it hit your town you would be more then freakin' out!

• Lydia O
    18 years ago

Yeah. No need to panic but prevention IS wise. I'm not scared but I did take the precaution of getting some Tamiflu, the antiviral medicine that is taken orally. It's not 100% but it's supposed to be the best preventive for H5N1 now available.

And I still have unused Cipro in the medicine cabinet in case anthrax ever makes a reappearance. :P

• Lydia O
    18 years ago

...And Kaitlin, here's wishing you a quick recovery. Hope you are feeling better soon. Take good care of yourself.

• Avrii Monrielle
    18 years ago

my science teacher told everyone about it. even if you cook the chicken you can still get it.