I'm Not Pregnant

• Ann Stareyes
    18 years ago

Bob....we do still have some Angels in this world...What a story to touch hearts...Thanks for sharing....It surely touched mine and if this don't bring a tear to your eyes....nothing will...Thanks!!!!

• ღtheღcrunkღpirateღ
    18 years ago

aww that was so gorgeous thanks for sharing that bob

• Cherri
    18 years ago

Bob, what a heart touching story.... Luv ya!

-*-Cherri-*-
    :.)

• Jacklyn
    18 years ago

that was such a sad, sweet story! thanks for sharing it bob. love it.

~Jacklyn

• JL
    18 years ago

Wow... its sad but very hopeful.... simply beautiful

• Lu
    18 years ago

Bob ...
    That was such a touching story ...
    Thank-you so much for sharing ...
    If people would only stop and see how precious life is ..... their problems would seem so small ..
    Very moving Bob , there truly are some good people in this world ....

• Blaine
    18 years ago

Shows that there is still hope left in this world

• Kevin
    18 years ago

Nice.

• Lydia O
    18 years ago

It is really a heartwarming story on many different levels and there is more to it.

It has become slightly altered but...

"This story is in fact the truth. The event is nearly twenty years old, but certainly no less powerful. Our own firefighter Bob (A main player in coordinating the events) is still on the job, functioning as a pumper/driver. Customer Service is a way of life on the job here in Phoenix. I expect, that if faced with a similar event today, our people would respond in exactly the same fashion." ---Chris Ketterer, Captain, Phoenix Fire Department. (http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/FIRE/bopsy.html)

The dying child, whose actual name was Frank "Bopsy" Salazar, was the very first “wish” child in 1981 when the Make-A-Wish Foundation was still in its infancy. The purpose of the foundation was to grant one wish to a children afflicted with a fatal condition. But Bopsy couldn't make up his mind. He was unable to decide whether he wanted to be a fireman, ride in a hot air balloon, or go to Disneyland. Since Bopsy was not doing very well, the two co-founders of Make-A-Wish, Frank Shankwitz and Scott Stahl, decided that he would receive all three wishes.

One phone call to the Phoenix Fire Department and the wheels were in motion to make Bopsy's first wish a reality. But his wish experience was far from over.

Once again, one phone call and Bopsy's wish to ride in a hot-air balloon also came true. Chris and Bob Pearce, hot-air balloon pilots and owners, were more than happy to offer their assistance, and their balloon.

Frank Shankwitz contacted representatives at Disneyland. He informed them about Bopsy's situation and asked for their assistance. Disneyland agreed to create a special day for Bopsy, complete with private tours, meals, gifts, and other amenities. This marked the beginning of the Make-A-Wish Foundation's long established relationship with Disney. Visiting a Disney park still remains the Foundation's most requested wish and Disney has continued to be one of the Foundation's largest supporters.

By 1982, the Make-A-Wish Foundation had still only granted a total of eight wishes to children, all in the Phoenix area. Then it caught the attention of "NBC Magazine," a newsmagazine program broadcast throughout the U.S. The program generated hundreds of calls from generous donors who wanted to help so that more dying children could be granted wishes.

The story of Bopsy appeared in the first publication of Chicken Soup for the Soul. It is also recounted on the web sites of the City of Phoenix and the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

• Truest Lies
    18 years ago

Well, I read the topic and thought it rather funny when it seemed that you were saying "I'm not pregnant" Bob, but then I read the story and it really is very beautiful.

• Natalie84
    18 years ago

Ok now that I'm sobbing...let me say that was a beautiful story...thanks for sharing. :)

• Matthew A.
    18 years ago

very good stories and glad your ok

• charlene
    18 years ago

this story was really lovely thank you for sharing it with us all
    love charlene xxx

• Avrii Monrielle
    18 years ago

aww~!