Muslum Religion:

• Sherry Lynn
    18 years ago

I am in dire on need of help gaining a deeper understanding of the Islamic faith. This is for 1) My own desire that lead me to take this course on Comparitive Religion and (2) an upcomming assignment that is due.

As some of you know me and Ismail had a slight discussion at one point because it appeared that I was against all religion except for Christianity. Truth be told, as I explained then and still believe, is that even Christianity has it's majority of flaws and I do not agree with it 100 %. I want to know more about every religion there is. call it soul searching or embracing something different I do not care, but the fact is that I want to know for my own peace. (Knowledge is everything while lack of it due to fear is worse than stupidity).

I believe that each religion has it's good and bad and that no religion that is a hundred percent perfect. I am in search of different points mainly for myself.

Thanks guys for any and all help you can give me.

--Sher

• JJ
    18 years ago

Islam is a “way of life”...all sincere Muslims (believers/followers of Islam) try to follow the Quran and Prophet Muhammad example to the minutest detail. In Arabic its called “Sunnah” He was a humble man who lived a most austere and modest life. Over the time span of 23 years (maybe 26) the Quran was revealed to him and he preached and taught the word of Allah and he himself was the perfect example to all. He enjoined the good and forbade the evil, he fought against oppression and he died to establish Islam.

Every Muslim must practice the teachings of Muhammad and most importantly these five pillars: 1. Kalimah (belief in Allah and Muhammad as is his last messenger), Salah (5 times a day prayer), Zakaat (giving charity), Haj (pilgrimage to mecca at least once in your life) and Sawm (endurance/fasting).

***(This is not directed to you Sherry) I just want to say that I get so tired of having to justify my religion. I've been a Muslim for practically all my life and I have done nothing wrong. I believe that there are good and bad people in every religion and Islam can't be judged on only the bad people. It is one of the fastest growing religions ever and there are so many Muslims in the world today. If we were all so violent and power hungry, we'd have the world taken over by now...

• EoB
    18 years ago

"The Islamic faith is really no different than most, except that when followed correctly you will probably lead a cleaner and more peaceful life"

I wouldn`t coute you on that, at least. I believe that no muslim follow his religion more correct than another...

But apart from this, Bob seems to know quite a few things...

Islam is an old religion., indeed.

• JJ
    18 years ago

^great post. you and bob seem to know a lot, perhaps I could learn from you guys :) ps. your arabic phonetics is pretty good.

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

Some great true stuff has been posted here about Islam. If you have any specific questions Sherry, that you'd like to ask, I'd be happy to try and answer them for you.

Very good, very good. Carry on.

*Nods head in approval* lol.

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

Oh and Bob, totally true about the Khawarij sect. They have innovated many corrupt things into the religion.

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

LOL! You are funny BOB!

In Islam women cover themselves with khimar, jilbab, and many choose niqab (face veil) as a symbol of modesty and to distinguish themselves as muslims and as a type of protection. Muslim women are to cover their beauty (hair, shape of body, etc.) and only display it for their husbands and their male family members as well (brother, uncles, fathers). They can also uncover in front of women. But not in front of men who they can marry who are not related to them.

As for their prospective husband seeing their luscious bodies (LOL), if a man wants to marry a muslim woman, he usually goes to her father, or brother, or someone appointed over her and inquires about her. If they agree to meet, he can come to her home (in a chaperoned type environment) and she is allowed to take off her abaya, and niqab, and khimar in front of him and wear normal clothes, (so that he can check out the merchandise...lol).

• Amanda Bee
    18 years ago

wa alaikum salaam Bobbie!!!! I guess it is kind of mysterious:)

• Marjan
    18 years ago

but now things have changed. I mean when I look at the young Muslim girls of my country(Iran), most of them now wear really tight "Manto"s. Manto is a clothe women must wear over their cloths. yeah, world is changing.

• Marjan
    18 years ago

oh really?! don't you know where?

• JJ
    18 years ago

The purpose for the prayer rug is to pray on...of course you wouldn't need it if you already have a clean surface to pray on.

• Sherry Lynn
    18 years ago

I am so grateful for all the responses. This thread has proven itself both pleasant and educational for everyone taking part!

Thanks

--Sher ♥

• EoB
    18 years ago

Muslims don`t appriciate it when newspapers post drawings of Muhammed...we may have done that mistake