Poetry that lacks emotion

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

Can you tell when you read some of the people's poetry on here? I mean there's a difference that rhyme just to rhyme... but what's your definition of a poem that has... real emotion, real life to it?

For me it's not just about rhymes because a lot of the rhyming poems make it harder for me to get any real feeling too it. (Not All!!!) I need to beable to read... to beable to picture it. I need to beable to see what I'm reading. lol if that makes any sense what so ever...

but what do you think... about poetry that lacks emotion... any real feeling as if the writer rushed it down just to beable to say "Here look I wrote this!"?

• vanessarrr
    19 years ago

yeah, i admit that some of my poetry lack emotion because i just had to put down how i feel and i wasn't thinking about what OTHERS would feel if they read it. like it just makes sense to ME. sometimes i post it here to see if people can relate to it or just to get critiques on how i can improve my poetry but not change that particular poem.

does that make sense?

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

I didn't mean that your own poetry lacks emotion.

to me it's ok to rush down what you write just to get the feeling down... but I always have to go back to it once it's done and critic it over and over again.

Sometimes rhyming is the perfect way to explain your poem and sometimes it's not. It's the way, feel and how you used it that matters to me. To me that's the difference between a well written poem with lots of emotion and expression too it and one that doesn't.

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

"Yes, there are some who just likes to rhyme things, but there are also some who feels things and tries to look for specific words to rhyme and combines them both and then makes a real poem."

YES!! :) I couldn't have put it better. Sometimes when you feel the need to rhyme in order for more people to understand what your saying but I think as long as it fits... well that is... it's a good poem.

• Kevin
    19 years ago

I think most rhyming poems, unless they are written by an exceptionally skilled poet, must lack some of the definition of the feeling or experience that inspired the work, because as soon as you enter the world of rhyme, you can only use certain words that match each other.

But yeah, if you're clever, you can say all you need to say without missing out explanation with only a few words..and sometimes those words rhyme.

• Kevin
    19 years ago

I'd have to disagree with you there Svee.

My reason for this is that most people don't think and feel in rhyme, at least no one i've had the pleasure of meeting. Which means that when someone thinks of feels, it doesn't come out as a poem naturally...it must be moulded into a poem, especially if it's a rhyming effort. Do you get what i'm saying?

• StarGirl
    19 years ago

but a lot of people won't sit there and read a long poem because mose people don't have the paitence. not saying all... but a lot will just quickly rush through your poem...

so it was a question more of how do you make a good emotional poem that won't lose a readers interest?