Poems That Don't Rhyme

• МÅťťђĕш Яĕĩŋĕßĕřg
    19 years ago

Anyone can write down feelings without rhyming them and call it a poem. A lot of people can string together words that rhyme. Now, there are two ways to make a poem that people want to read. It can either have strict structure, rhyme and rhythm, or flow through word choice and repetition. Honestly, I find making ones that don't rhyme a heck of a lot easier for me, which is why I don't have many. You can use different words to create the mood. A rhythmic poem that rhymes depends upon the beat to make it happy, sad, dark, etc. What is your opinion? Now that I gave you mine please answer.

• N J Thornton
    19 years ago

I think poems that don't rhyme and those that do can swing either way really. Poems that have rhymes, people tend to think more of as poems, than ones that don't. However rhyming ones aren't always good poems poetically, if you catch my drift. People can write poems for the sake to vent etc and they don't have to be great, they're just feelings from within that need to be released. But if someone was trying to do more with the poem, more has to be considered. As you said structure, rhythm and rhyme is important. But when i say rhyme i don't mean forced rhyming, because that isn't good.
    Then theres non rhyming poetry. Of course just random words, or sentances put in a form aren't going to be poetically great at all. But words chosen carefully and put in a certain way can be so much better than a rhymed poem. Non rhyming poetry also needs a good flowing rhythm from one line or sentance to the next. Because you don't have the rhymes, the natural beat isn't there, so choice in line breaks is important. Beat in both forms is very important too to create the right mood and feel, so that could work either way.
    Now i hope i haven't wandered off the subject completely as i did get a little carried away there.

Silver

• shannon
    19 years ago

i agree i dont think that poems have to ryhm at all

• Sarah
    19 years ago

Yeah, I tried rhyming for awhile and it came out sounding wrong and icky. Not the quality work I expected from myself. So now I write poems that don't rhyme, and I really love them.

Plus, Billy Collins is my favorite poet EVER.

• Unseen Exposure
    19 years ago

I think it's harder to write a "poem" without rhyming simply because to me it always seems more like a story. I prefer rhyming because I'm always looking for new words to rhyme together, thus increasing my vocabulary. On the other hand, you can make stories/non-rhyming poems very poetic with your choice of diction and imagery. For me, it is extremely difficult to write a well worth reading non-rhyming poem, but we all have our differences. My talent just hasn't extended that far yet.

• Your eyeliner is laughable
    19 years ago

Poems that don't rhyme can still be beautiful poems. All I look for when I read a poems, is emotion. If the poem is emotive, then it is wonderful. No matter wether it rhymes, or does not rhyme.