tips for non rhyming poems

• ♥x__Pwincess danii//
    19 years ago

normally i write poems that rhyme and i want to try something new and i tried write a non-rhyming poem and it didn't sound right are there any tips for non-rhyming poems or have i just gotten used to rhymes?

• ♥x__Pwincess danii//
    19 years ago

thanks heep i'll try and wrtie one now i am not sure if i'll post it

• ~Bloodied&Broken
    19 years ago

Hey- thans some nice tips guys! I've always been scared to write no rhyming stuff and the rhyming stuff doesn't seem to feel deep enough- Thanx guys!

:D

-Thanx Guys!
    -luv KT

• Mentally_Unable
    19 years ago

I think the biggest thing with a non rhyming poem is that it still have to have a steady pace don't throw something in there that doesn't make sense. with poems that rhyme almost anything can be thrown in it and it won't cut off it's pace. I guess that makes since bt i probably confussed u so i will just shut up now lol.

• Freddy
    19 years ago

I've not posted a non rhymimg poem, but heres a tip. U need to have a steady beat. for example you need to click your fingers to a beat and let you poem fit to that beat. however, the person reading this may not pick up on the beat. the way to emphasise this is to have a verb on a certain beat. If you're musical you'll know what i mean by a 4 4 beat. try having a verb that can easily be stressed on every second or third beat to a bar. I don't know why or how this works, but the verbs soon start becoming automatically rhythmic to the reader

• deadnalone
    19 years ago

ye i get that. i rote one a while a go. well i tried to but it got a bit rhymy lol!

• paperdoll
    19 years ago

HEY! I'm so glad you mentioned non-rhyming poems, Danielle. No on seems to give them much thought around here, but i think they're really worthwhile, and generally speaking are more difficult than the rhyming ones.

A great thing about non-rhyming poems is that they dont seem to let you just chuck in random stuff, because it ends up sounding stupid, whereas in rhyming poems you can get away with it if it flows (however it still sounds somewhat dorky).

But hey, Freddy, I think you're wrong on that rhythm-y stuff. Poetry doesnt have to be about rhythm - it has to flow but that's something different.

My advice for writing non-rhyming poems would be to collect all your ideas until you know what you're trying to say, and then write down all the words or phrases that spring to mind on a blank page. Sometimes you might come up with a great ending or beginning for the poem straight away, and other times you'll work from that collection of random phrases and key words - you dont have to use everything you write down in the final copy.

Anyway, they're just some tips from my experience. Ta.

• .x.PorteR.x.
    19 years ago

"My advice for writing non-rhyming poems would be to collect all your ideas until you know what you're trying to say, and then write down all the words or phrases that spring to mind on a blank page."

From my experience as well, this is a good idea. In fact, my poem, "Wounded" is made up of random thoughts i wrote down... but they sounded good, so i turned them into a poem. So yeah, this works :P

Anys, now that i have contributed ;)

xox, PorteR