Good poem?...

• Poetically Speaking
    19 years ago

what is a 'Good Poem'? is it a poem in a book? is it a poem written 100 years ago by a scholar? does it make you laugh? does it make you cry? does it rhyme properly? does it NOT rhyme? hmm...

to me a poem is whatever you want it to be. look i'll make something up know and it might suck to me, it might not:

"what’s a poem
    is it good
    is it bad
    does it make you sad
    can I write one
    can you write some
    will we write them alone on a tire hub"

it's just about putting words together. see the tire hub part, well I know what that is referring to because its an inside joke with some friends of mine. your poems don’t need to be so straight out and forward. if you go and read some of mine you'll see the some are straight forward/lovydovy/sad/weird/abstract . poems also don’t need to contain a metaphor in every verse. a poem needs to be what you are happy with. that’s it. don't compare your poems to how well other peoples poems are written. you arent writting a novel and you arent them.

• ♥x__Pwincess danii//
    19 years ago

a good poem comes from the heart

• Johnny Marlin 2
    19 years ago

A poem is merely an expression of self through words. A good poem is one that you like, regardless of if anyone else does.

• Sean Allen
    19 years ago

heh, that is a damned fine definition, and probably the closest anyone will get to the truth

• SweetDreamer
    19 years ago

well yah I poem should be good, but overall it's really the thoughts behind it.

• Kevin
    19 years ago

I'm studying the old masters right now, T.S Elliot, shakespeare, Byron etc....and i don't like some of their material...in fact i've read poems in here that i prefer, and that i think have more to say.

It's such a personal thing in terms of interpretation and joy.

I would say though, that a poem for me has to either be very cleverly written, be amazingly insightful or beautiful...or at best a combination of all three for me to like it.

I'm so into Robert Frost right now...except for his long story poems...the man had a vision and philisophical way of describing nature as a medium for everything a human being can experience that i am so digging and learning from.

• Tammy
    19 years ago

I think a good poem is one that when you read it you feel like you are actually there... when you can really feel what the writer is feeling.