Common Errors in English

• Jacki
    19 years ago

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#b

Just click at random, its actully pretty helpful.

Beginning a sentence with a conjunction It offends those who wish to confine English usage in a logical straitjacket that writers often begin sentences with “and” or “but.” True, one should be aware that many such sentences would be improved by becoming clauses in compound sentences; but there are many effective and traditional uses for beginning sentences thus. One example is the reply to a previous assertion in a dialogue: “But, my dear Watson, the criminal obviously wore expensive boots or he would not have taken such pains to scrape them clean.” Make it a rule to consider whether your conjunction would repose more naturally within the previous sentence or would lose in useful emphasis by being demoted from its position at the head of a new sentence.

• ~*^*~ longing to belong ~*^*~
    19 years ago

sorry i think i understand...are you saying it's better not to start a sentence with 'but' or 'and'? I think that's what I have always been taught...

sorry i'm a bit confused now...

• Ashlee Nicole
    19 years ago

English confuses me..lol...I hated eng back in HS

• Jacki
    19 years ago

you can start a sentance with "but" / "and". Its standard english

• Jacki
    19 years ago

ok are you friggin stupid. Sorry.

Jesus what does this have to do with poetry you ask. Well this has to do with all forms of writing.

Inless you're writing in a language other than English. Then well this doesn't apply.

• Jacki
    19 years ago

I Chop Some Parsley While Listening to Art Blakey's Version of "Three Blind Mice"

And I start wondering how they came to be blind.
    If it was congenital, they could be brothers and sister,
    and I think of the poor mother
    brooding over her sightless young triplets.

Their is a poem by Billy Collins in which he starts off using the word AND. Why because of what I have written above. Writing form all types, including POETRY.

• Jacki
    19 years ago

The Poem: Kubla Khan

Line: 17
    And from this chasm, with ceaseless turmoil seething,

• Jacki
    19 years ago

But it wouldn't be an endless string of thoughts if used properly.

I'm trying to "prove" that those people who say you can't start a poem with and or but, are wrong.

• Jacki
    19 years ago

i'm not arguing at all

i'm was merley posting something I thought people should know or learn about sence what they teach in school is not always right.

19 years ago

ok i think i understand

19 years ago

ok i think i understand

• Jacki
    19 years ago

Q. Can I use 'and' (or 'but', etc.) at the start of a sentence?
    A. Yes.

The old "rule" that you can't begin a sentence with a conjunction has actually gone by the wayside. Occasionally, especially in casual writing, you can begin a sentence with and or but. These words are mainly used to join elements within a sentence, but they have begun sentences since the tenth century. But, like anything in grammar, do it sparingly. Variety is the spice of writing, as it is of life!

http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/a/and.html

• Jacki
    19 years ago

http://www.writing911.com/realworld/free/outdatedrules.htm

7 outdated rules of grammer

No matter what your fifth-grade English teacher says, some grammar "rules" no longer apply. The style mavens of our day all agree that the ability to communicate clearly and concisely takes precedence over archaic grammar rules. Stop chewing your pencils and forget about these rules. Each rule is followed by a grammatically correct sentence.

1. Never split an infinitive.

I want to carefully consider all of the options presented to me.

Following this rule all of the time will make your prose unnecessarily academic and stuffy. When in doubt, don't split the infinitive. But if splitting the infinitive conveys your meaning more clearly and concisely, split away.

2. Active verbs are always better than passive verbs.

Jerry was robbed. (The active alternative: Somebody robbed Jerry.)

Generally, active verbs are better. In the following cases, however, passive tense works just fine.

* When you don’t want to mention who did it
    * When you don’t know who did it
    * When who did it is irrelevant
    * When the passive voice places the emphasis where you want it

3. Never start a sentence with a conjunction (and, or, but).

And then he left, never looking back.

Starting a sentence with a conjunction can help transition from one idea to another or add a dramatic tone to a passage. If you start sentences this way too often, your paragraphs will sound like one long run-on sentence. Use conjunctions at the start of sentences judiciously.

4. Never start a sentence with there are or there is.

There is no excuse for your behavior.

Sentences that begin with there are and there is are usually weak sentences in need of a stronger noun. But making a conscious decision to start a sentence this way to place emphasis on specific words is perfectly acceptable. "Your behavior is inexcusable" or "You have no excuse for your behavior" just don't sound as stern as the sentence above.

5. Never end a sentence with a preposition.

What is he pointing at?

This holdover from the 18th century has no place in modern language. Imagine how stilted and formal our language would be if we followed this rule! According to Words into Type, Winston Churchill once said, "This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put" in defense of the terminal preposition.

6. Always use more than instead of over with numbers.

The relic is over 300 years old.

Over, more than and in excess of can all be used with numbers. Let your ear, rather than a rigid rule, be your guide.

7. Data is plural, so the verb must always be plural.

The data proves his thesis.

Like several other plural words with Latin origins, data is now accepted as either singular or plural, as any up-to-date dictionary will confirm. When was the last time you heard someone use the word datum (the singular of data) in a sentence?

Need more proof that these rules are outdated? Check out these respected references.

Woe Is I by Patricia T. O'Connor, 1996
    split infinitives, page 182
    active versus passive voice, page 187
    starting with a conjunction, page 184
    there is and there are, page 193
    ending with a preposition, page 183
    more than and over, page 189
    data as singular and plural, page 183

Words Into Type, 3rd edition, 1974
    split infinitives, page 386
    active versus passive voice, page 341
    there is and there are, page 355
    ending with a preposition, page 381
    more than and over, page 427

Elements of Style, Strunk and White, 3rd edition, 1979
    split infinitives, page 78
    active versus passive voice, page 18
    ending with a preposition, page 77

Chicago Manual of Style, 14th edition, 1993
    split infinitives, page 76

Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual, 1992
    split infinitives, page 219
    more than and over, page 155
    data as singular and plural, page 44

• Jacki
    19 years ago

Yes you can use them in a formal way.....

Yes, I guess I am smarter than your college professor. Because, that is what they are called professors in college not teachers.

English does not stay the same. As we get more advanced our language changes. Great Example Old English. We no longer use this because our vocabulary our way of speaking our minds are more capable of the learning and expanding. Latin for example is a non existent language now. Only used in the medical profession for medication etc...We are always changing.

• Jacki
    19 years ago

http://www.junketstudies.com/rulesofw/faqs.html#and

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/nonerrors.html

http://dianahacker.com/writersref/subpages_language/however.html

http://www.udel.edu/eli/g07.html

(Most usage experts think it’s perfectly fine to begin a sentence with the conjunctive adverb however (meaning “nevertheless”). But try telling that to those who grew up with Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style. Strunk and White state their advice unequivocally: “Avoid starting a sentence with however when the meaning is ‘nevertheless’” (48).)

I really can go on and on giving people websites about this subject.

• Jacki
    19 years ago

I was just trying to say that its an outdated rule....

• Erica Brown©
    19 years ago

You know, I don't think it all matters, as long as you don't type all "AIM" or so they call it "internet chat" then I won't hate you.
    Who the hell ever invented that?