And the earliest wound, when a little mate
    Leaves you alone for another;
    And sickness, and the face of Fear by the bed;
    The death of a father or mother;
    Or shame for them, or poverty;
    The maiden sorrow of school days ended;
    And eyeless Nature that makes you drink
    From the cup of Love, though you know it’s poisoned;
    To whom would your flower-face have been lifted?
    Botanist, weakling? Cry of what blood to yours?—
    Pure or foul, for it makes no matter,
    It’s blood that calls to our blood.
    And then your children—oh, what might they be?
    And what your sorrow? Child! Child!
    Death is better than Life!

I'm supposed to analyze this part:

[b]And eyeless Nature that makes you drink
    From the cup of Love, though you know it’s poisoned;
    To whom would your flower-face have been lifted? 20
    Botanist, weakling? Cry of what blood to yours?—
    Pure or foul, for it makes no matter,
    It’s blood that calls to our blood.[/b]

and relate it to a novel

how i interpreted is that the "eyeless nature" is your instincts and how one can't fight one's biology type of way

from the cup of love, though you know its poisoned

to me, means that whatever happens, you'd follow the unstoppable force of love, even if its forbidden (such as homosexual love in the 1950s, incest, etc...) and rejected by society.

to me

[b]To whom would your flower-face have been lifted?[/b]

as who would make the innocent child happy (to me, flower face gives me a image of innocence and lifted seems to apply to ones happiness).

then:
    [b]
    Botanist, weakling? Cry of what blood to yours?[/b]

i think that the botanist refers to the child's caretaker or someone who understands the child . But does that mean the weakling refers to the child? is it implying the child is helpless?

is it saying, "who will care for you, who will love you, who will understand you"?

the "[b]cry of what blood to yours[/b]?" to me imply, "who will love you or, who is compatible with your personality,character, etc.."

then

[b]Pure or foul, for it makes no matter,
    It’s blood that calls to our blood.[/b]

to me just seems to reinforce the fact that no matter what personality the other person has, if its THE ONE, then no matter whether his/her personality matches yours, even if s/he will hurt you, or cause you pain, you will be drawn to him/her no matter what.

If anyones got any other interpretations suggestions, it would be great to hear your POV.

(though i'm trying to relate this to an essay i'm supposed to write about "The Age of Cities" about an innocent/naive closet homosexual who's future outcome is bleak either way as if he follows his homosexual nature, he will be ostracized by his small town community (this is the 1950s) or if he chooses to repress his real nature, he will forever feel unhappy inside)

THANKS

• HopefulxRomantic
    16 years ago

"Botanist, weakling" appears to me as oxymoronic. The botanist use Nature (also related to instinct) and herbal knowledge (education) to cure wounds and alleviate poisons (related to the shortcomings of love). So in this poem the Botanist is a healer of love, possibly the true love. But with the narrator's pessimistic view the Botanist is viewed as weak, insignificant. I think the point is that when we hold death in higher regard to life, we concentrate on the damning factors and condemn the saviours.

Hope it's of any use to you.