Length of poems.

• Antithesis
    16 years ago

On my previous poems, I received quite a number of comments regarding the length, or rather, the lack of length of my poems.

I would like to inquire whether the general public thinks that length is an important factor in a capturing and piercing poem.

If not, suggestions on how to achieve greater length will be more than welcome.

PS: I have attempted at lengthening my poems recently. You can take a look and compare it with my older ones. All kinds of feedback are welcome.

• Jenni Marie
    16 years ago

I don't think length is important...it's the content that is. for instance, haikus are one of the shortest forms i know of yet done correctly can be a beautiful piece of art...as long as the content is acceptable, and the emotion is there, short poems can be a beautiful read.

• Corinne
    16 years ago

I just had someone give me what I thought was a lower score, because they thought the poem could have been longer. That's ridiculous. One should know when one has said enough. Going on longer ad nauseum and repeatiing the same thoughts and feelings is not good writing, in my opinion. It doesn't make the poem "better"

• Antithesis
    16 years ago

So what you're indicating is that it would be fine if I stick to my current length of poetry?

• Jenni Marie
    16 years ago

Yes, i think it would be fine. after all, it's YOUR poetry. no one else's.

• Corinne
    16 years ago

Don't say more than you need to. If you've said all you want to say - that's it. Don't force the length to meet someone else's expectations

• Nykkiicia Cion
    16 years ago

I agree...length is of no significance at all...just write wat u feel and if thats summed up in one line or even one word...it can be just as powerful!

• X Kashies Misery X
    16 years ago

I think that it doesnt really matter about the length as well...although it just has to match and all fit together, and it has to be interesting....long poems and if they arnt interesting is so bad....

• Lethmelodis
    16 years ago

As long as you get your emotions and point across, a poem can be anywhere between a single word or an epic in itself.

I personally have been more fond of longer poems recently (32-64 lines compared to my normal 16) because I'm able to express more on a single subject without having to compact everything so to speak. I'm able to mess with the subliminal and metaphorical because I have more room to express.

At the same time, I enjoy writing short poems too. They get the job done and hit hard. Its all depending on personal way of expression. If you can compact a emotion into a simple four line poem, then so be it - thats your way of expressing it, and there's nothing wrong with that :)

• Marissa Marzano
    16 years ago

Well most of the time i usually have 4 verses with four lines in each. on the odd occasion i make it six verses, but usually i still to four.

i dunno how short you make yours
    but four is usually good enough
    =)

• Tara
    16 years ago

I also hear a lot about the (lack of) length to some of mine. I think that if a poem says what its meant to say - the amount of words it takes shouldn't matter :)

~Tara

• Melvin LeVeque
    16 years ago

I think it doesnt matter one single bit, as long as you say what u wanted and your satisfied.

• Brittany
    16 years ago

I've gotten one comment on length (being too long) but I chose to ignore it. Normally I try to listen to the critique given to me, but I don't know. It wasn't as if I repeated anything, and if it dragged on for the reader they obviously didn't connect with my emotion. All I know is that I felt it, which is the most important.
    Just write until you stop feeling your inspiration. When you're done you're done, and your poem is amazing no matter what it's size may be.

• xXMohawkedMahemXx
    16 years ago

The choice to write is your... what is written is your choice and the choice of how long your poems are.. is again YOUR choice no one elses...
    xx