What's with all the sad poems?

• Nici
    19 years ago

I think that writing poetry is supposed to be about venting your emotions.

If people are sad then their gonna write about sad things, like wise when your happy you write poems about happy things.

Poetry is just about writing what you wanna write.

• Sean Allen
    19 years ago

No, you're right in a sense. Most people on this site, such as my esteemed peer above me, write in order to vent emotions and "write what you [they] wanna write." Which is fine my me. Other poets on this site pursue philosophical musings and whatnot, just look around for them and you'll find'em

• Eibutsina
    19 years ago

Well for me - I tend to write when things get bad for me and when Im feeling down...I dont actually feel the need to write as much personally when im happy - or in a more positive state of mind...

• Lance Hardy
    19 years ago

I'm usually the same as Eirisa, but I've expanded myself some because I enjoy writing and don't always have something depressing to write about.

• tragic
    19 years ago

This is a poetry website and poets are deep emotional people, if there feeling sad then ofcoarse there gonna write about it, and why not? i think its a good thing, since alot of the peeps can relate to it all, knowing there not all alone, and yes people need to get it out some how its like letting out your emotions rather than holding them in, if you were to hold them in you would go crazy I know i would.

• Jennifer Fox or Jackson
    19 years ago

People write poems when the feel sad to let it out...Poems are the best way of getting your feelings out of you instead of holding in...whether it is happy or not...People go through things that they want to express without making it a big deal...That is why I write sad ones!...It gets me feelings better then before...Not much better but it helps!

• jennifer cheng
    19 years ago

ii think mostly pepo write poems when there sad.. and they write about how and what they are going through so0 yeahs

• Lenee.Roca
    19 years ago

i agree because i write a lot of sad poems because im a teen and i know a lot of others are too but now a days a lot of people are differnt from back in the day and we have a lot more responsibilitys so its more stressful but i do think writing is about expressing how you feel even if its a story.. like my poem thingy called To Bobbie it is a poem but he won't ever read it and it explans it pretty well..

• Psychotic Heart
    19 years ago

I write sad poems..not only when im upset but just cuz its like my style in a way..i enjoy writeing depressing poems...hmmm does that make any sense at all......haha..but yea i write about other things aswell.....

• Psychotic Heart
    19 years ago

lalalala lala la

• SCARECROW
    19 years ago

Pipedream101, I think you're right on one count. People do write to vent, and this is a form of writing. Poetry needs emotion, and if you don't vent the emotion you feel, then it isn't poetry.
    I personally never write happy poems because I only write to calm down and get emotions out of my head. If I'm happy, why would I want that out of my mind? I only want the sorrow to leave, so it makes room for more. Actually, I'm quite happy being UNhappy. It makes me a better writer every day (not that I'm an awesome writer or anything).
    Besides, it's not just the sad poems, have you noticed the evermounting pile of love poems? No one complains about that, and I feel there is no need whatsoever. It's the same case as this.

• xRachelx
    19 years ago

Sad poems are still writing! Writing is all about venting emotions! Poems are all about expressing emotions! Love poems are expressing emotions too, just a different type! And if you dont like the sad poems then dont read them! :P

• Kill The Complex
    19 years ago

almost all of the poems i have posted are sad poems i think from experience depending on your personality that its easy to write about sad things or happy things. Since i come from a not so good family and im depressed alot its easier for me to write depressing things on the other hand if your someone who's happy and never depressed it would prolly be easier for you to write happy peoms so i think it depends on your emotions and personality

amen to that " if yu dont like the sad poems then dont read them"

no offence!!

Emmerz

• Mustardhart
    19 years ago

Let us not under estimate the power of emotions here as a driver to writing. Sadness has proved to be an opener to many a writers realisation of their talent. It is a basis personal evaluation ans self realisation in a sense.

It is not proper for us to think that poetry should only be academic, or philosophical per say. I believe people have the power within them to utilize whichever/whatever means available to them, to write poems.