Just a question about the....

• Lucy
    16 years ago

I used to write on here a lot when i was like 15 or 16, and just recently came back and looked at all my old work, it was awesome, and made me laugh and sad and yadda yadda yadda...but one thing i noticed, was all the critiquing others would give to me when they would comment, like "it was good, but try not too curse so much" and i was thinking today, three or four years later then when they were written, about how i am so glad i didn't revise one poem for the satisfaction of anothers reading...

and i guess my topic would be...when you read someones poetry, it could be one bloody mess, and not one person can truly judge as to wether its art or sh!t...cause its poetry, right? its YOU, not them...its supposed to be you heart...well, its was always MY way of expressing MYSELF, through words...wether confusing others or offending, it was mine, and non-changeable, cause then it wouldnt be quite so involved in MY soul...

so why are there people telling you too "tighten it up" or "use less foul language"...basically..."express yourself!, but not how your souls spilling out on the page, express yourself, how i want to see it..."

• Gem
    16 years ago

Yes, the poem may be perfect to some people and a mess to others, but when you post your poetry for people to look at and comment, you have to expect to receieve critique and their opinion.
    If you don't want it, don't post, lol. Write it down for yourself =)

• Corinne
    16 years ago

Yes, ultimately you should stand behind your poems - though look at them with a critical eye as well. While your poems are YOU, I find the best poems are THEM as well. When I read a poem , I like the ones that make me go "Yes, I know what you mean - or Yes, that's so true"

• Lucy
    16 years ago

Well, you can post your poetry for someone to comment, and not expect them to critique it, i guess i think its silly...i guess i think its poetry...

i would much rather have someone say they didn't feel my poem, that would be honest and lovely...but when they say, maybe do this to your poem, then i could feel it...i would be saying in my head "write your own poem to feel...this one was mine, for you to read" maybe you might expect a certain kind of comment, depending on the reason you are righting, for the masses or for the soul...

• Lucy
    16 years ago

I completely agree with that, and put this post up so i could find some light into critiquing a poet, it all seems so relative and unreal, but when you say it like that, i agree....kind of...taking it personally is the whole idea, its the fact that your trying to fix the idea, that seems odd...but becoming a better writer...a better anything, is always awesome... a famous something said once..."dont be the best at what you do, be the only one who does it." that sees like what poetry means to me...

• SilentRebuke
    16 years ago

I agree, I have been told that my poem needed to be less explicit, and I am glad that I didn't change it. Everyone has personal likes and dislikes, and that won't change, nor should it. However, the danger comes in not pushing yourself to improve. If you take the opinion that everyone's critisism should be ignored, you will never improve. A happier median would be to listen to critique, but stay true to yourself. Make sure if you were to stumble upon your poem years later, you would still recognize it as YOURS and only yours.

• Dark Secrets
    16 years ago

Exactly ... I agree, cuz people write to express their feelings so if it's more or less like it is it won't express the exact feeling of that person... I say rules were ment to be broken so don't mind them!

• Dark Secrets
    16 years ago

Anywayz... I just read a couple of your poems and they're great...

• courtney
    16 years ago

Well if u post them on here they are in there on thing if they have lang like that anyways so i dont see why you should have to change it we all curse well most of us and you shouldnt have to take their advise but they have the right to offer their oppion

• Baby Rainbow
    16 years ago

I dont think people eman to drag any poems down, they are just being honest in what they make of the poem x

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

I strongly agree

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

I write what i want to hear i dont care it the reader is enjoying it

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

Dont get me wrong i want the reader to like it but if they dont its not going to hurt my feelings none

• Big hersh
    16 years ago

Because true poetry comes from your heart not the heart of others

• homebound
    16 years ago

Sure i hope the others like it, but im writing for my satisfaction. The poem they comment on im most likely not gonna change however if i think it will help the way of expressing myself i will think about it in my next poem. If not i toss it aside and dont think twice about it

• Lucy
    15 years ago

Well gosh darn, that's ironic, i vaguely remember what my topic was, but i thought it was about how i was confused on the criticism a poem gets or something, and i got some suggestions on my poems...well as i get older my poems just naturally change, i like comments about how others connected or what not, but my poems on this site...im not looking to make them "better", some of them are silliness, and thats just where i was when i wrote it i guess..