What is the “MOST DIFFICULT” part or thing in po

• Robert Gardiner
    12 years ago

What is the ''MOST DIFFICULT'' part or thing in poetry???

What do you find is most difficult thing/part of poetry? Do you find a specific form especially hard (in fact, what would you say is the hardest form)? Do you find Structuring a poem difficult or perhaps finding the perfect rhymes to accent your poem and its flow? Do you find it difficult to maintain a harmonious Flow/Rhythm throughout your poem? What about metering, do you find that difficult? Are metaphors hard for you? Just what is it do you find difficult?

I personally think Metering and Metaphors are difficult, although I have done both well previously in my writing. The fact is I'm not sure my metering is ever perfect - when I don't comes to metering I don't breakdown the syllables as to STRESS this one, DON'T STRESS this one, I just write and go with what seems to flow. If you broke down my sonnets and my other written forms where metering was required. You probably find the metering to be imperfect, and as for Metaphors, I can write them in the flow of a poem, but as me to formulate one without it coming out naturally in what I'm writing and I'd have a difficult time.

• Sincuna
    12 years ago

I find putting them all together in a coherent way makes it difficult.

When it comes to format, I'd actually think (to be strict), that free verse is the hardest. Now, anyways.

To make an analogy between two arts: poetry and film...

A formed poem is like following the basic mechanisms of what makes a good film (plot, cinematography, score, lighting, etc...). But if you do freeverse (well enough). Then you are to be experimental at the same time resourceful.

There are films out there that has unique scenes which turns out to be very emotional, or vice versa. I've scene a film with great score yet the sound disappears during the most significant scene. And there is always a purpose for that. (See: Scorcese's Shutter Island; children in the lake scene)

So in relation to poetry, it is very hard to experiment on things and make them fit right... there are films with great plot, but horrible cinematography, dialogue, and even editing. Same with poems with great content, but terrible transition, tone, and imagery.

You can find more analogies within this, or from other arts. The key is never to force things I guess - sometimes it ruins a poem; to be overly dramatic, it becomes cliche.

Regarding metaphors, I do believe it is hard to come original, because most metaphors that passes as "good" in the literary field are the ones that surprising, new, and imaginative.

Imagery such as "you are the candlelight inside the dark room of my heart" should not work anymore; it would need more. And I've noticed such mistakes done here. I'm also guilty of it.

from "Have You Ever Tried to Enter the Long Black Branches" by M. Oliver:

While the soul, after all, is only a window,

and the opening of the window no more difficult
    than the wakening from a little sleep.

^ notice the difference with this quote with the line I gave earlier? This one has experience, we know how it is to wake from little sleep, as if what the speaker and the reader/s experiences can actually be felt the same. And the poem then catches up and becomes the reader's own experience. Instead of the ambiguity that lies in "you are the light inside a dark room".

• Britt
    12 years ago

The most difficult thing about poetry for me sometimes is just spitting it out, and formulating what I want to say in a "poetic" way.

Sometimes my emotions or feelings are so strong and at the forefront of all my thoughts that I feel I can't move past them until I write poetry. But then I sit down, started to write, and get so flustered as I have so many thoughts bubbling around in my head, I just can't pen them down.

• Narphangu
    12 years ago

I have the most trouble with rhyming or structured poetry. Whenever I have directions on "how" I should be expressing myself, I feel hindered. For me, free verse poetry is something you spit out of your mind as is... editing tends to make my pieces awkward, and forethought makes them cliche. So, pretty much the bulk of my work ends up being written in one sitting, posted, and left as is.

I also have much more experience writing and reading free verse, and I tend to enjoy the thoughts and ingenuity people can pull out of it. I think using alliteration is the most fun technique, wordplay is always good for the mind. :) The most difficult form I've ever tried would have to be the quintina, a variation on the sestina with more lines per stanza, or structured forms incorporating both rhyme and meter, like sonnets.

• Decayed
    12 years ago

I have troubles in keeping it flowing..

• Amreen
    12 years ago

Well, I have problem in the rhyming as I have to give importance to it and then the poem loses a bit of its effect