Eating disorder?

• Miss Lonely Teacher
    12 years ago

Okay,
    my friend thinks i have an eating disorder and my family is always complaining about it as well. the thing is, i don't purposely do it.

i can go about 3 days without eating anything. if i don't feel like eating,i just don't. i'm not purposely doing it, my body doesn't say "i want food" so i don't eat. and they get mad and try to force me to eat which only makes me sick.

what am i supposed to do?

• anjielblue
    12 years ago

For 3 days without eating?, i don't think it's still normal,..... maybe you have a problem with your appetite?

• believeinlove87
    12 years ago

I'm the same way girl.
    My body loses its appetite all the time & i just dont eat and my dad gets on my case all the time.
    It just how sometimes your body is, anoxeria is when u starve urself purposely, but you're not doing that.

Nothing to be really worried about, just drink smoothies & take vitamins and you'll be good! But if you go longer then that, just eat little things, bcuz if u force urself to eat alot you really do get sick.

Hope that Helps!

• Decayed
    12 years ago

Lol, I envy you :p

I eat a lot, and I wish I could starve myself!

:p

Well, I don't know, I think you have some disorders. Go consult a nutritionist. It's the best way !

• Tara Kay
    12 years ago

I never eat breakfast and sometimes skip lunch, because I don't feel like eating, I'm just not always hungry, If I do feel hungry I might have a bag of crisps or piece of fruit.
    But I think it depends on your metabolism, and BMI really, If you are a healthy weight for your height, then I think thats fine.

People only worry because they care.

• Miss Lonely Teacher
    12 years ago

Thanx, that does help ^_^

• Elizabeth
    12 years ago

There are many other forms and degrees of eating disorders other than anorexia or bulimia, those are just the two most well-known and studied. And eating disorders don't have to be intended, they can be unintentional and a result of other problems.

The reason you get sick when you do actually eat may not be because of the food itself but may actually be a result of the fact you haven't eaten in so long. Just a thought.

----

I do not believe this site is the best place to find your answers or we're the best people to advise you. I think you should go talk to a doctor or otherwise a professional who specializes in this area, like a nutritionist, they will be better able to advise you and answer any questions you may have about whether or not how long you go without eating is normal or abnormal, but most importantly healthy or unhealthy.

Everyone's body (their metabolism, etc.) is different, but imo, I think it is unhealthy for anyone to go that long without eating anything on a regular basis. You could be experiencing the effects of food deprivation (physical, emotional or other) right now and not even know it. The effects can be small to start, unnoticeable or even underestimated, but in the long run can become worse and detrimental to your health and over well-being.

Even if you don't think you need to, it may help to ease your families concerns and get them off your case if you do go talk to a professional and if they can accompany you. I think it would be beneficial for you to seek the advise of a professional and become better knowledgeable about what's going on with your body and your health. You've got nothing to lose in doing so and everything to gain, a better understanding, reassurance, your health and overall being.

Be happy; be healthy.

Elizabeth

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

Elizabeth's advice is great. If you go (maybe with a family member?) to see an expert, you will

1. Make sure that your habits are healthy. A loss of appetite could be pointing to some deeper health problem, in which case the longer you wait the worse it could get. Also, it could be nothing, but it would be good to know that for sure.

2. Get everyone off your case. Going to a doctor will prove that you're not doing it on purpose, and it will let everyone know what's acceptable and not.

• Sean
    12 years ago

^ Yep elizabeth/sib, dead on. :)

nowt else to say! lol.

• ether
    12 years ago

If you have an eating disorder it's not that you starve yourself it's that you don't eat as much as you should to stay healthy. This includes loss of appetite due to stress or whatever factors. If your BMI falls into the underweight category you should really go to your doctor, maybe you have an anxiety issue? I got put on antidepressants that also help with anxiety and my no-appetite episodes decreased in severity.

Anyway a good friend of mine has anorexia and bulemia and she just loses her appetite and throws up if she's fourced to eat if she hasn't eaten for a couple of days prior. It's a horrible cycle and very bad for your body.

• A lonely soul
    12 years ago

Definitely needs evaluation by a Professional/s (a psychologist/psychiatrist, internist, etc), for risk factors, such as :
    Unhappiness with body image
    Low self-esteem
    Difficulty expressing feelings
    Perfectionism
    Troubled family relationships
    History of physical or sexual abuse
    Family history of eating disorders

Anorexia is an attempt to control your life and emotions.
    Your self-esteem is based entirely on how much you weigh and how thin you are.
    You view weight loss as a way to achieve happiness.
    Becoming thin is all that matters; health is not a concern.

Treatment varies by what you have, but you need to be in Professional hands for sure, as Elizabeth/sib said, and admit you have a problem.

• Miss Lonely Teacher
    12 years ago

Thank you for that, but that's not me. my body's so mixed up that i only lose weight when i eat(or gain when i don't...). so that wouldn't be a reason for me Not to eat.

and as i said before, it's not a choice if it's making me sick. but thanx

• Rihanna
    12 years ago

I have same issues.
    I don't eat much..I could go on with the day and just drink water I kno that's crazy but I don't feel hungry or the need to eat.

• Angel
    12 years ago

Am with rihanna only dif is sometimes i actually do starve myself but never ffor more than a day